Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with formating backup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dvird4

dvird4

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:58 AM

Hi,
I have 32 bit computer and i want to format it to 64 (for ram extending) but i want to save all my files and settings of the computer.
What is the best way to back up my files and settings?
Thanks,
Dvir.

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2015 - 01:25 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup, Imaging Software

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:38 AM

32-bit computers...date back to before Pentium 4/Celeron D systems.

There are 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows...since the XP era.

What is it that you ultimately are trying to accomplish?

Louis

#3 dvird4

dvird4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:53 AM

As i said, i want to extend my ram from 4gb to 8gb and because 32-bit not allow it i want to format the computer but still save my data,pic etc...

Edited by dvird4, 06 December 2015 - 10:54 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

You can not change the version from 32-bit to 64-bit.  You would need to purchase the 64-bit version.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dvird4

dvird4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:34 AM

This is what i mean.. to buy it and format the computer and still save my docs,pics etc..

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:46 AM

Ok.  First you need to back up all of your important data to removable media, like an external hdd, flash drives, DVDs, ect.

You will lose all of the programs you downloaded or installed from a disc.  If you still have the installation discs for the programs you can reinstall these after installing the new 64-bit operating system.  If you paid for the programs you downloaded and haven't changed you email address you should be able to download the programs and activate them.  You may need to contact the vendor in order to do this.

You may find that some programs were intended to be used with the original 32-bit operating system, there isn't a whole lot that you can do about this.  You may be able to run these programs in compatibility mode successfully.

Hope this answers your questions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dvird4

dvird4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:48 PM

I do have 1tb external hd, but what is the best way to backup the files? There is program that you recommand or just copy all the files?

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:53 PM

You can right click folders then in the pop down menu click send to IE your remote drive.  Bunches of small items can be high lighted by holding down the shift key still holding shift key right click the last item then release the shift and again right click to send them to the remote.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:54 PM

Since you are talking solely about data just use Windows Explorer and 'drag and drop' your folders and files onto the external drive. If you use the default locations for storing files then you want all your libraries as well as your C:\Users\You folder at a minimum. On top of that you want to save your bookmarks and your contact list.

Your e-mail system will provide information on how to back up your contacts and your browser will back up your bookmarks. Look under 'Bookmarks - Manage'. Both of these actions will  create a file, save it along with your documents.

Finally, have a long hard look at the contents of your computer just to make sure you haven't missed anything !  As DC3 has said there is no point in saving any of your applications as these will have to be re-installed. But, if you have any installers downloaded you should ave these as you will be able to re-install the programs from them.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users