Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitdefender.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MsClyde

MsClyde

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:42 PM

I have just wasted 7 hours of my time.  I bought and installed Bitdefender 2016, the top line product (my brain is now so fuzzled I can remember what it was called)  It all installed very nicely but then I couldn't log on to the internet. No matter what I tried, it would not log on.  I had to uninstall it to even contact them for advice.  They were not very helpful AT ALL.  I'm asking for my money back and have re-installed AVG.  Bitdefender looks very attractive in the way they advertise it but I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 December 2015 - 01:20 AM.
moved from Introductions to the appropriate forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:51 PM

i don't know much about BitDefender- even though it is supposedly highly rated- could it be a Firewall issue?

#3 MsClyde

MsClyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:58 PM

I tried turning off the firewall and about 20 other things,  I thought it was supposed to be a very good anitvirus and bought it.  Now I  have to hope I get my money back.  Such rubbish. I've never struck that problem before with any other antivirus software.

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:11 AM

I don't know if this will help,but I had a client once that could not connect to the internet- she was using another AV program,anyway- we finally did a virus scan with escan- you can download it to a thumb drive,and run the scan while disconnected from the internet. Turned out that she had a virus that was preventing her from connecting. Don't know if you have tried that,anyway,I would go over to the "Am I Infected" forum and post there.Someone should be able to help you-

#5 blackkcalb

blackkcalb

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:30 AM

Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles there. I have dealt with AVG and Bitdefender, as well Kaspersky, Avast. I would bet my last dollar that the problem is coming from AVG. I would encourage you to download a removal tool from AVG. Also, I can not remember the name of the program that bleepingcomputer does have, but it is designed to remove ALL remnants of anti-virus programs. Once you get ALL of AVG out, I bet Bitdefender would work. I don't want to offend anyone, but the truth is or I believe strongly that AVG is a virus of sorts.

#6 MsClyde

MsClyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:41 AM

Too late.  I'm back using AVG.  Bitdefender were no help and I wasted my whole day stuffing around with a useless piece of crap.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:20 AM

When choosing an anti-virus program, firewall or any other security software, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor is always a consideration. Lack of adequate Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of a vendor's product is one reason folks look for other alternatives. If it is a paid product, folks talk with their wallets.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:46 AM

Bitdefender is overrated , you can get same or even better  results with Emsisoft IS which use the same AV engine than BD.

Edited by Umbrapolaris, 07 December 2015 - 04:46 AM.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:33 AM

EAM uses Bitdefender on-demand file detection including file based signatures as well as heuristics but none of their real time components so there will be different testing results (detection rates) for each.

To quote the test description:

The retrospective tests evaluate the products against new and unknown malware to measure the proactive protection capabilities (e.g. through heuristics, generic signatures, etc.). This test also takes into consideration the false positive rate. Starting from 2012, the remaining malicious files are also being executed, so that the proactive protection provided by e.g. behaviour blockers is evaluated.

Since we only use their on-demand technologies, but none of their real time components, there obviously will be different results for both products.

Fabian Wosar, Emsisoft Employee Post #4 about the Bitdefender engine

#10 Peter Cabrera

Peter Cabrera

• Banned Spammer
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:59 AM

I want to know is windows defender is enough than why people go for other anti viruses? Just Why?

#11 Batzz

Batzz

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:40 PM

Hi Peter, that is not true, ive recently been doing some testing of  Zero-Day Malware, every single file I downloaded except 1 and ive downloaded about 100 completely were missed by the protection of Windows Defender. Yes it may help and it is getting better at blocking but threats can still get past it, that's why most people use more advanced software to make sure they are fully secure.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:17 PM

IMO Windows 8/10 Defender is just as good as any other FREE antivirus program...read Is Windows Defender Good Enough.

Although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools for information about trustworthy and effective anti-malware programs.

#13 Batzz

Batzz

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

Hi quiet, sorry perhaps my testing methods are inefficient, this is my first time testing  as well.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:45 PM

Without knowing what malware you specifically are testing and exactly how...it's hard to make an assessment. If the malware is anything that Anti-malware programs tend to focus on, then Windows Defender probably is not going to detect it. But that is a topic for another discussion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users