Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Error Message Received At Start Up?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Akias

Akias

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:32 PM

I turned on the computer and received a blue screen with a stop error message

The message stated: A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer files................

*** stop OX0000007E ( OXC0000005, OXF85EB9B9, OXF96D5538, OXF96D5234)

It than referred to check adequate disk space, if the driver is identified in the stop message check for driver updates, check hardware vendor for BIOS updates, ( disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing)

I was able to turn the computer off and restart under " last normal start or something like that?" I have not installed anything new.

However I am very concerned and do not understand how to even begin with this situation.

I checked on Windows Knowledge Base article 330182 and I am embarrased to admit I do not understand what I am reading or how to proceed. I can not find the error codes I listed above anywhere on the knowledge base so I do not know what the error codes are telling me?

The basic info I did find suggested

1- hard disk space. ( I am sure I have enough)

2- Update the computer BIOS? Make sure that your computer BIOS revision is current?
( I have no idea how to do this? what BIOS I have? and ran into warnings about updating the wrong company or version ??) I am on a Dell PC 2400 dimension

3- Try changing Video adapters. ( I do not think I even have that on this PC )

4- Damaged Ram? ( I don't know how to find out if that is the issue )

5- damaged device driver? ( same as number 4 )

6- If the issuse is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it may be caused by a third party remote control program? ( again I do not know what this means)

Than a message that stated not all Ox0000007E error messages are caused by or included in this discription. That the four parameters in the message vary depending on the cause of the stop error.

Can anyone Help me or lead me in the right direction? Does anyone know how to determine what the four parameters ( error messages ) are pointing to as the cause of the error?

If I continue to use this computer am I going to damage something? I am very sorry if I have not explained the problem in the best of terms, I do not understand half of what I am typing? I have NO computer knowledge. :thumbsup:

I do appreciate any advice or assistance that can be given to me. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:12 PM

I suspect a problem with your RAM. I suggest downloading and running Memtest86+ on all the memory. If there are any failures, then you have a bad memory stick.
Posted Image

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:39 PM

You receive a "serious error" or a "STOP: 0x0000007E" error message in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321637&sd=RMVP

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:36 AM

These things are a bit daunting the first few times that they happen - so don't be overly alarmed! The folks here can help you to work through many of them without any great fuss.

This is a very long post - so just take your time reading through it and jot down any questions that you might have. Then, when done with the entire thing, write back with any questions you have.

First tho' - was there any file name mentioned with the STOP error? (BTW - you did a very good job at getting the right info for the error message, must have some "geek" blood in you! :thumbsup: Here's a link to a page that has a picture of the Blue Screen and some notations to show you what I'm asking about: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

OK, so now let's address your issues:
1) Hard drive space - how much do you have free? It's recommended that you have 15 to 20% free space on all of your drives.
2) Update the BIOS - don't worry about this yet. It's one of the last things that I recommend doing - and it's usually noticeable because it'll happen the very next reboot after adding new hardware. But, we can walk you through this also - just not right now.
3) Video Adapter - it's what your monitor plugs into in the back of the computer. Typically, with Dells, this is built into the computer. It gets a bit complex changing it - but it's not that hard to do. Will require buying/borrowing a video adapter (aka video card, display adapter, etc)
4) Damaged RAM - a very real possibility - check out Dngrsone's link to MemTest, read the instructions carefully, then make the floppy disk and run the program according to the directions. The test should run for a minimum of 2 hours (but overnight is best). Let us know if you find any errors listed in the report.

This is most likely if you don't have a good surge suppressor on your computer (not just a power strip) or if it's not working correctly. Do you have a surge suppressor?

5) Damaged device driver - that's the little man that sits inside your computer and does all the IRQ steering :flowers: (a bit of geek humor here!) Did you hit him on the head with a hammer?

Seriously, here's a short lecture on system crashes. Nearly all of the crashes that result in the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) are cause by hardware issues (some say all of them are). But, not all the issues are broken hardware. Most often it's problems with the programs that tell the devices how to communicate with Windows and other devices. This program is called a "driver" because it tells the hardware which direction to send the signals.

This is also the easiest thing to fix - it just takes a bit of troubleshooting to figure out which one of the drivers to fix (and how to fix it). That's why I asked about the file name way back in the beginning - it'll give us more info on where we should be looking. The article that ThorXP cites gives a good example of a driver that's caused this error.

So, you've done very well in letting us know what's happened and have provided enough information to get started. A part of most BSOD's is a section that says something to the effect that "if this is the first time this has happened, shutdown and restart the system". That's because the system shut off "before" the damage could be done.

So, you can continue to run the computer without fear of damage. If it continues to occur - then we've gotta fix it! Let us know the results of the questions that were asked - and any questions that you might have - and we can proceed from there!

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 26 July 2006 - 11:38 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users