Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some keys not working toshiba Laptop

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bmaurice

Bmaurice

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:51 PM

I have some keys on my L850D that suddenly stopped working. I have uninstalled the standard ps/2 keyboard in device manager. I have run a full virus scan and the problem is still there. If someone out there may assist I would be greatly apperceive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:18 PM

By stopped working you mean some keys don't output anything at all or they give unexpected characters?

If the latter, you can check whether the language input method matches the keyboard layout: control panel → change input methods (for instance, if a french laptop is set to english keyboard layout some keys won't work as expected).

​Otherwise, it could be a hardware problem. One way to troubleshoot it is to download and boot from a Linux Live CD and try the keyboard from there (for further assistance with this you can ask for help in the linux forum). If the Keyboard works there, that indicates wrong Windows settings. If the keys don't work there the keyboard might be damaged and needs to be replaced. An external keyboard can be used in the meantime.

#3 Bmaurice

Bmaurice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:59 AM

hi nuna, thanks for the advice. just to clarify further, i have two keys not working at all (z&x), plus the caps lock. the on-screen keyboard works perfectly, that is how i have managed to type them in this topic. I cannot seam to boot from linux even after reading forums. thanks again

#4 Bmaurice

Bmaurice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:58 PM

hi nuna, just to update you, i installed windows 10 yesterday and the problem is still there.

#5 Vision123

Vision123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:05 PM

i have same problem with both ctrl keys on my keyboard .

this happened to me few months ago,i tried everything that could possibly solve that problem but looks like its a hardware issue to me.

#6 Bmaurice

Bmaurice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:08 PM

ok thanks vision123 for your input. some people seam to fi the problem easily however looks like i will have to take her to the doctor. :)

#7 Vision123

Vision123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:10 PM

let me know if you could fix it without getting a new keyboard .

#8 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:15 PM

@Bmaurice: With those symptoms I would say 99.9% sure the keyboard needs to be replaced.

​If the computer is under warranty you can call the manufacturer. Otherwise, if you are not a hardware guy, you may need a technician to replace the keyboard.

​The 0.1% remaining goes to: keyboard ribbon cable loose; dirt under keys: blow with a compressed air can.

Edited by nuna, 07 December 2015 - 06:54 PM.

#9 Bmaurice

Bmaurice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:20 PM

@nuna thanks, looks like i will have to get a tech to replace it. I'll let you know the outcome.

#10 Vision123

Vision123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:22 PM

an easier way would be getting an external keyboard

#11 Bmaurice

Bmaurice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:25 PM

@vision123 yeah but who wants to carry that around :)

#12 Vision123

Vision123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

ur right @Bmaurice .

if you have some extra money consider buying it in addition to fixing ur keyboard you might use it when ur at home and this way you'll do less damage to ur keyboard,especially if you play games or do lots of coding on ur pc 

#13 Bmaurice

Bmaurice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:57 PM

took your advice @nuna and have now replaced the keyboard, working 100% qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm simple to replace and job closed. thanks all again

#14 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for reporting back  :thumbup2: 

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:54 AM

If you have a friend with a desktop computer see if they will let you borrow their keyboard to see if it works with the laptop.

Do the keys that are not working feel like the other keys?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users