Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cpu fan doesnt spin, graphics card fan doesnt spin and computer doesnt turn on

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JustAnotherPerson

JustAnotherPerson

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:12 PM

i have had a nvidia geforce gtx 960 gpu that was about 8 months old then one day my computer decides not to turn on and my graphics card fan does not spin. ive bought a new ps, several motherboards and even a new cpu. also i realized that my cpu fan does not spin either. my computer literally turns on for a second then dies out, but my motherboard still shows that it has power. can someone please help me?
also there is no monitor signal or beeps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:04 AM

What is the wattage of the power supply? What is the model of the CPU?

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:05 AM

my cpu fan does not spin either

Are you plugging the power cable for the CPU heatsink fan into the correct plug on the motherboard? If you plug into the wrong jack, the unit will do exactly what you are experiencing. The correct jack is usually labeled, something like CPU_FAN or possibly FAN_1, or something like that. Check your manual that came with the mobo. In addition, plug your video card into a different computer and make sure that it boots with the card installed, to check that your card did not fail.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 JustAnotherPerson

JustAnotherPerson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:18 AM

What is the wattage of the power supply? What is the model of the CPU?

cpu: intel i7 4770k lga1150
psu: corsair 650w modular
motherboard: asus z87 pro

my cpu fan does not spin either

Are you plugging the power cable for the CPU heatsink fan into the correct plug on the motherboard? If you plug into the wrong jack, the unit will do exactly what you are experiencing. The correct jack is usually labeled, something like CPU_FAN or possibly FAN_1, or something like that. Check your manual that came with the mobo. In addition, plug your video card into a different computer and make sure that it boots with the card installed, to check that your card did not fail.

i think i have it plugged in to the right spot cause it said cpu_fan, but ill check again, thanks

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:47 AM

Welcome.

You might want to check the motherboard capacitors for failure. This is becoming a common problem as companies are buying cheaper capacitors and they fail regularly. Capacitors look like small, "Quaker Oats" round boxes set on-end. They are commonly silver color, but can be black, green or brown. The tops of these should be perfectly flat on top; if there are any that are bulging upward, and if there is "goo" on the tops, possibly running down the side, or even on the bottom, that capacitor has failed. Even if the cap to is bulging with no electrolyte seeping out it is bad.

There are many capacitors on a motherboard, some large and some small. Check them all. The easiest way to do this is disconnect the desktop computer and lay it on its side with a bright light shining in, even a flashlight is good.

Additional info link:   http://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=identity

Note the pictures on the right hand side. I have also attached a pic of a board I recently worked on, note the electrolyte oozing out the top of the caps. It doesn't always do this; usually the cap just bulges upward slightly, easy to miss if you don't look closely.

Attached File  Bad-Caps2.jpg   96.02KB   1 downloads

Edited by ranchhand_, 06 December 2015 - 09:57 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

Does the CPU or other parts are overheating? Are you sure that all the power cable are plugged into the right place?

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#7 JustAnotherPerson

JustAnotherPerson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:33 AM

thanks for replying, i will check for broken compacitors, and nothing is really overheating (unless u count warm after failing to start a few times) and i am sure about the power plugs being plugged in the right spot but i will check again

#8 JustAnotherPerson

JustAnotherPerson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:46 PM

i dont see any broken compacitors and im positive everything is plugged in.. anybody else know whats wrong?

#9 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:00 AM

Sound like you have problems with the PSU and motherboard, or the CPU, RAM is damaged. If they are in warranty, can you replace them and check if your computer works afterward?

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:29 AM

there is no monitor signal or beeps

So evidently you are not getting POST on boot, is that correct? And you are not getting the keyboard recognition beep when you power-up, right? If so, that means that you have a low-level hardware failure. That means that the power signal from the power supply is not reaching the BIOS, so the CPU and harddrive cannot boot the computer. However, you must make sure that is the case. A lot of what I am going to say has been referenced by Batman already in this thread.

> Test your power switch: Power your unit down.  Leave it plugged in.  Pop off the side of your computer, and trace the small cable running from your front panel, on/off power switch to where it plugs into the tiny socket on the mainboard.  Gently pull that plug off, revealing two contacts.  Take a flat-bladed screwdriver, and short the two contacts.  Your computer should immediately power up and start to boot.  If it does power up and run normally, your switch is bad and is shorting out. Also, if you have a reset button on your front panel, disconnect that and test it at the same time. I have seen reset buttons go bad and do the same thing. 

>  When you swapped your motherboards, did you use stand-offs when installing? Make sure that nothing is shorting out by contacting the metal bottom of the case.

> Try to access the BIOS; usually this is by tapping DELETE while booting. I don't think this will work, but we have to cover all the bases. If you can, set the boot order to DVD=1st boot device, HDD = 2nd boot device (so the computer boots from the DVD first).

>  Try to boot into Safe Mode; usually this is done by tapping an F-key while power-up, many times F-8 (check your manual). If you can boot into Safe Mode, then there is a corrupted system file that is preventing boot. If you can't, there are other problems.

> Test your power supply; do this by using a tester, or if you don't have one, swap out the power supply temporarily with another. I know this is problematic, but there is no other way. If you know how to use an electrical tester you can use one of those.

> Test your memory:

> Download the (free) zip file (2nd from the top) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD or DVD.

> Make sure your BIOS is set to CD = 1st Boot Device, HDD = 2nd Boot Device. If you cannot access your BIOS, go ahead and try it anyway.

>Reboot with the CD (or DVD) in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad.

Test only one (1) stick at a time.

NOTE: I don't think that this will work. However, if it doesn't that gives us more information that the problem is a low-level hardware failure.

> Did you swap your video card to check if it has failed as per my previous post?  OR....if you have integrated video (video on the mainboard) and if your CPU supports it, remove the card and see if you can post using integrated video. This is important.

#11 JustAnotherPerson

JustAnotherPerson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

im sorry but im an amateur and im getting lost in your words... i cant seem to start it by the way, like... literally, no matter what it will not start. i might take it to a guy so he could help me fix it, soon

#12 Vision123

Vision123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

did you try to get a new power supply ?

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:55 PM

Ok....at this point, if you can, try to test your power switch. Since you have replaced your power supply, several (?) mainboards and a new CPU, the only other thing that is constant and hasn't been replaced is your case itself, and the only thing I can think of that would affect booting would be the power-on switch on the front of the case. However, at this point, fi you decide to take it to a shop, I suggest a local shop as opposed to a big box store which will rip you off and tell you that you need a new computer. Wish you the best.

#14 JustAnotherPerson

JustAnotherPerson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:09 PM

i have a power on button on my motherboard so i know it prolly isnt my case... maybe my ram is the problem.. or my terabyte? i dont know hopefully i can fix this because ive spent plenty on this thing.. thanks for replying and trying to help though.

#15 Vision123

Vision123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

if i'm not wrong u will hear a beep if u have a problem with ur ram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users