Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Charter email set up?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JC8865

JC8865

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:10 PM

Just finished upgrading my win8.1 laptop to Win10...working on getting my email accounts set up and I cannot get my Charter account set up correctly to sync. I am used to an incoming and outgoing server address where as Win10 has only 1 "server" box for settings. Anyone here set up a charter account successfully? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JC

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 December 2015 - 01:16 PM.
moved from Windows 10 to Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

I use charter for e-mail also but have no clue what you mean.I use windows10 and set up live mail and added charter and it works fine.You have to manually put in some settings but that's about it.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

I believe the original poster may be referring to setting up e-mail accounts in the mail app, but that still left me confused.  I've set up a number of accounts now, and intentionally did a number of them manually, and going through that process you definitely have to enter both incoming (IMAP, usually, but some still use POP3) and outgoing (SMTP) mail servers.   If automatic configuration fails you must do a manual configuration.  Most e-mail providers have a support web page for setting up their service in e-mail client software that includes server names, encryption requirements, and specific port numbers.  I can't even remember which client setup I looked at since all I was really interested in was the information I just listed.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 JC8865

JC8865
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:09 AM

I have a charter email for my micosoft account and it won't let me edit any of the outgoing or incoming setting just has an option for "server"..there isnt an option for advanced to edit those settings. I can set up another account with a different name but even then it doesnt work. Any chance you can share the settings you used for charter? As you can see in the Picture it just has a "server" box and nothing for incoming or outgoing.

Attached Files

• Attached File  img.bmp   837.69KB   9 downloads

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:13 AM

What e-mail client are you using?   This looks like one of the latest versions of Outlook and I've stopped at Outlook 2013 (and that was on a client's machine).

Were I you I'd set up the account with what is available then go back and manually edit the account settings or enter everything manually from the get go.  I don't recognize the dialog you've posted the screen shot of.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 JC8865

JC8865
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:26 AM

The screenshot is from the default Windows10 mail client as you see there is just the "server" box..when I had windows 8.1 it had incoming and outgoing boxes I could enter in manually. It doesn't give me that option. If I create a new account with the same info I get boxes but following the info for Win8 doesn't work and it wont sync. I can't find any info for Win10 anywhere.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

I would post about this over in the e-mail/etc. forum.  It sounds like you may need to reinstall the Windows mail app.  I know this has been covered before but unfortunately I can't point you to a specific thread.  Do a forums search of the whole BC forum and something may come up.

I don't think this is a Win10 issue, per se, at least if you're not experiencing any peculiarities like this otherwise.

#8 JC8865

JC8865
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:17 PM

I originally posted this in the Win10 section but was pointed to this section to ask for some help/advice..I am having issues setting up my charter.net email with the default Win10 email app...it will not give me options for advanced settings to set up incoming and outgoing server settings and I cant find any information about setting it up in Win10. I also see that I am unable to delete that account and start over since its used as my Microsoft account. Attached is a picture of the "set up" screen as you can see it just gives me a "server" box with no other options to edit incoming or outgoing settings. Has anyone set up a charter email account with any success? I feel I must be missing something but don't know what. It was also mentioned I may need to re-install the mail app but am unaware of how to do that as the mail app does not give me that option. I upgraded to Win10 from Win8. Ant help would be appreciated.

JC

Cant seem to post a picture or a link to the original post from the Win10 section.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 December 2015 - 01:17 PM.
this post was duplicate which was posted in Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications. Merged into first topic in Windows 10, then moved to this forum.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:20 PM

I would post about this over in the e-mail/etc. forum.

Please do not suggest starting a new topic in the appropriate forum.
Instead, use the report function and let the moderators know a topic needs to be moved to a different board.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:36 PM

Generally I do precisely what you suggested, Queen-Evie, but this issue is one of those that, "Could be Win10 or could be Win10 Mail App or both," so I didn't (and probably wouldn't if I had to do it all over again).  Sometimes two different sets of eyes are better than one.  That's the exception, mind you, but an exception that I'll decide upon when I feel it necessary to do so.

#11 JC8865

JC8865
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:37 PM

I apologize if posting this topic in 2 different sections wasn't allowed..just very frustrated that a simple email is so tough to get set up.

JC

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:53 PM

Have you thought about NOT using the native Windows 10 mail app and instead use an email client such as Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail?

Both are easy to set up. They give you a choice between IMAP and POP setup.

I use Thunderbird as my email client.

Thunderbird

Windows Live Mail- I am currently having to use my husbands netbook with Windows XP due to the fact that my Win 7 laptop totally died. When I tried to get the link for Live Mail download I am told Windows Live Essentials is no longer available for XP.

If you click the link and do not see the download you can search for it.

Since WLM is a component of Windows Live Essentials, you will be presented with a list of what is included in it. If all you want is WLM make sure that is the only thing checked for install.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:19 PM

Like Queen-Evie, I prefer any of a number of different e-mail clients over the Win10 mail app.  If you have come to use and rely on an integrated inbox when managing several accounts in your e-mail client you'll not find that in the Win10 mail app (unless they've added it very recently - I stopped playing with the Win10 mail app when I did a reset install on another computer where I had been trying it out).

Everyone seems to love Thunderbird, and there is a lot to love, but beware of it *if* you use the technique of changing font and font color sequentially embedded in replies.  It does not behave as virtually all other e-mail clients do in this single regard.

Windows Live Mail is a good e-mail client.  I also loved Zimbra Desktop, and it appears that the latest version has finally been released, eliminating some serious misbehaviors that cropped up over time.

#14 JC8865

JC8865
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

I guess I'd prefer just to use what came with Win10...its basic email and worked fine for me in Win8 and 8.1..just shaking my head that this can't get set up correctly. So far this is the only drawback I see in Win10..I really like the rest of it. You would think setting up a simple email would be..well..simple.

JC

#15 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:53 PM

When you open the Windows 10 Mail App, click on the settings icon in the lower left corner, select accounts, select add account, select advanced setup, select internet email. You will then be able to setup the account name, your name, login and password, then setup incoming mail server and outgoing mail server.  Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users