Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck at OS X Utilities! Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chrisoc38

chrisoc38

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:35 PM

I recently formatted my friends Macbook pro. When I went to reinstall the OS X it asked me for apple ID and Password. She says she doesnt have an apple ID because this used to be her sisters computer.

So now when I turn on the Mac it just goes to the OS X Utilities options menu.

Is there a way i can install an OS X without an apple ID or password?

The OS it was using was "Mountain Lion". I have a .DMG of Mountain Lion and a .dmg of El Capitan downloaded.

Can I make a bootable flash drive and install one of those .dmg files to install an OS?  (I only have a PC running windows 10)

Can I use this "Mac OS X base System" to recover the OS without my apple ID or password?

Would it be easier to install another operating system? (windows, Linux) If so how do i begin doing that?

If you need more information please ask. I don't know Mac nearly as well as I know PC. None of the videos i watched told me i would need an apple ID and Password to reinstall the OS X or i would have never done it!

My friend is really mad at me because her macbook is pretty much useless right now. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated. 

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:41 PM

Why not have her ask her sister for the ID and password she used on the computer? 

Edited by Twin B, 05 December 2015 - 08:42 PM.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#3 chrisoc38

chrisoc38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:50 PM

Oh I forgot to mention I did. Her sister said that it was a company computer and she can't give out company information. So I need to find a way to install an new OS (any OS) without an apple ID

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

If you can your hands on another Mac.

DiskMakerX

#5 chrisoc38

chrisoc38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:36 PM

Is there not a way I can format a USB on my windows pc so that Mac can recognize it on boot and have it boot and install an os x?

Edited by chrisoc38, 05 December 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#6 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:13 AM

Try the Internet Recovery. During startup hold down the keys Command + Option + R until you see a spinning Globe. You need an internet connection to download Mac OS X. I recommended to use a LAN-Connection for faster download.

After you have reinstalled you can try to upgrade the newest version from the AppStore (you need your own Apple ID).

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:07 AM

Which model of the MacBook Pro is it? If you do not know, then you can use this page to find a way to identify it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201300

The reason that I ask is that it may impact what your options are.

If it is a model that came with Mac OS 10.6 (aka Snow Leopard), but was later upgrade to Mountain Lion (aka 10.8.x), then you will need an AppleID that was associated with a purchase of Mountain Lion to be able to re-install Mountain Lion as I understand it. The only possible exception to this was if that MacBook Pro was one of the ones that received a firmware update that allow it to use the Internet Recovery option...if so, then see the next paragraph...but I am not 100% sure if this true. Otherwise, you would need to use the recovery media (either a optical disc or USB drive depending on model) that originally shipped with the MacBook Pro to restore it to Mac OS X 10.6.x (aka Snow Leopard). The other option is to get your hands on another Mac, create an AppleID to use and then buy Mountain Lion (aka 10.8.x) [or maybe a later version] to be able use that AppleID to re-install Mountain Lion.

If it was a model that came with Lion (aka 10.7.x) or Mountain Lion (aka 10.8.x) installed, then it came with the Internet Recovery option built-in. If so, then the suggestion that dante12 offered should help. As I understand it, with the advent of Apple getting cheap/lazy and not providing physical recovery media with new Macs, the Internet Recovery was meant to take the place of that physical media. So, as I understand it, a new Mac will have the current Mac OS at its time of release set as its "default" recovery OS that is used with the Internet Recovery media...presumably without needing an AppleID. Since I have not had the need to employ the Internet Recovery option, I don't know if this true firsthand. And I definitely do not know what happens with Macs that shipped with 10.6 physical recovery media, but received a firmware update to allow the use of the Internet Recovery option.

As to creating on a Windows PC a bootable USB drive for installing the Mac OS, I don't believe that is possible. You would need something to be able to format in the Mac OS disk format (which Windows does not do) and then be able to write a DMG to that Mac formatted USB drive. MacDrive could do the former, but I am not aware of any utility that would do the later. Does not mean it is possible...rather I am just not aware of a way to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users