Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD drive not working after downloading Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pejose

Pejose

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:35 PM

I wonder if someone can help me with a problem I'm having with my cd/dvd drive. Since downloading Windows 10 the drive hasn't been working and doesn't show up in This PC. When I put a disk in it it Just spins around for a few seconds then stops. The odd thing is that the drive is recognised by Device Manager which says its working OK. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks.

Edited by Pejose, 05 December 2015 - 08:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

Right click on the cd drive in device manager and select Uninstall. Confirm Ok.

Reboot the pc

any change ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:04 PM

If what Condobloke suggests doesn't help, and very often it does, go to your computer manufacturer's website to the support page for your model.  Download and install the most recent driver for your optical drive.

If that doesn't work, check the support pages at the manufacturer of your optical drive to see if they have a Win10 compatible driver.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 Pejose

Pejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:27 AM

Right click on the cd drive in device manager and select Uninstall. Confirm Ok.

Reboot the pc

any change ?

I uninstalled the drive and rebooted. Now the computer doesn't recognise it at all.

I'll see if i can install the most recent driver for it as Brian suggested and see what happens there.  

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:54 AM

Pejose,

Typically Windows (all of the recent versions) will scan for "plug n' play" hardware that exists on the system and if it finds something not installed it will automatically try to locate a driver and install it.  Sometimes the automatically doesn't occur for some reason.

If you haven't already succeeded in getting the most recent driver and installing it, open Device Manager and click the "Scan for hardware changes" icon (which looks like a monitor with a magnifying glass over it).  This will force a scan for non-operating/newly installed hardware and make Windows try to find and install a driver for it.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 Pejose

Pejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

I tried the 'scan for hardware changes' and nothing came up there. I'm not having any luck finding a free driver download for it either. The model is Hitachi HDT721032SLA360. 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:46 PM

This may be due to a registry corruption. There are fixit's for previous OSs  but none for Windows 10. Look at the manual fix and be careful when editing the registry. Look at deleting the Upper and Lower Filters keys first.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:55 PM

Pejose,

Is your system custom or not?   If not, I cannot imagine that the support pages for your computer do not contain a device driver for the optical drive, even if that driver is "only" compatible up to Win8.

JohnC_21 also gives good advice.

#9 Pejose

Pejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:15 PM

This may be due to a registry corruption. There are fixit's for previous OSs  but none for Windows 10. Look at the manual fix and be careful when editing the registry. Look at deleting the Upper and Lower Filters keys first.

Thanks but it didn't work.

#10 Pejose

Pejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

Pejose,

Is your system custom or not?   If not, I cannot imagine that the support pages for your computer do not contain a device driver for the optical drive, even if that driver is "only" compatible up to Win8.

JohnC_21 also gives good advice.

I think it's custom.

#11 Pejose

Pejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:30 PM

Thanks but it didn't work.

Actually it did work. The drive has just shown up! Thanks John.

The drive was actually a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA, not a Hitachi. Shows what i know about computers.

Thanks 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

Your Welcome. The drive was detected after you deleted the Upper and Lower Filters, correct?

#13 Pejose

Pejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:46 PM

I only deleted the upper filters as there wasn't a lower filter on the list. I'm not sure if it was this as i also created a subkey afterwards (Resolution 5)

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:55 PM

Okay, thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users