Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus - Weird Green Check Marks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ApplePies

ApplePies

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:22 PM

Hello,

Today I woke up, and turned on my computer.

I had been using it for almost an hour, and then I realized my desktop was updating every 1 minute.

Every time it updated, it had a new icon (Icon is the thing that indicates the logo is a shortcut). Eg. Green Check Mark, Gray X etc.

I immediately though this was a virus, and ran 5 virus scans. After doing that, I uninstalled the programs, and restarted my computer (No viruses were found). When it then was booted back up again, it was VERY slow and did not want to do as I wanted to. Keep in mind it has 16 Gigs of Ram and a i7 3.60 Quad Core Processor. I ran a disc reset, and got the computer back to factory settings.

What I am wondering is: Would the virus have become removed when I did the reset to factory settings (If there was any virus)?

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2015 - 07:45 PM.
Moved from Win 10 Support to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

Reading these comments....Windows 10 - shortcuts now have a green check mark on them. How do I get rid of it? : windows

I think you were a little fast on the trigger to reset....

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:27 AM

I'd post over in the Malware forums for more precise advice about virus'

Most viruses will be wiped out if you Reset the system.

But there are viruses that linger on and require more detailed work.

The easiest way to find this out is to perform antivirus scans after the Reset.

If they find viruses/malware, then it may require further work.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:11 AM

There is more discussion as to what those green checkmarks and other overlays on the shortcuts are from. All appear to be from

some backup source. Microsoft OneDrive, Norton 360, Verizon Cloud are all mentioned as sources of the overlay.

The comments in the link below also show how each overlay can be removed if you want to.

4 pages of comments....the latest: Green check marks on desktop icons - Microsoft Community

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users