Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dell PowerEdge T110 serverr only recognizes half its ram after upgrade to 16 GB

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

Hello all,

I've got a serverr, and I've just recently upgraded it to 16 gigabytes of ram, per Crucial.com's recommendation; scanned it and pulled the specs from Crucial, but so much for "guaranteed compatibility", for the 4 sticks, when all four dim slots are fully populated, only 8 of the possible 16 gigabytes of memory is seen by both the OS and the BIOS. I find this puzzling, considering it is the right speed and all (PC-83500), but something odd is at work here, I know, because the dims that Dell provided me when I purchased this unit about five years ago are single ranked, while the ones that crucial gave me are dual. Not sure how much of a difference that makes considering the T110 is capable of both singgle ranked and dual ranked ram. Also, the serverr now has a problem where when it reboots afterr, say, an update, it will stop in the middle of it's cycle and provide the message: "strike F1 to retry boot, or F2 to enter system setup". Striking F1 allows for the boot cycle to continue, oddly enough ...I'd rather that not happen; it is a serverr, hosting a Hyper-V infrastructure. At the moment, I've only managed to contain the issue by suppressing the server's Windows updates and only allowing him to proceed with installation when I tell him to. Not the most optimal solution ... Also, this one last detail might assist with this issue and troubleshooting it prroperrly. If I'm to have only two memory modules present in the server, only the two outer dims (one black, and one white), can be filled. The middle slots do absolutely nothing. Not to mention, to satisfy, the two modules in the outerr dim slots have to be the ones from Dell (stock configuration), or else i'm greeted with no boot, post, or anything on the display, and a red/amberr light flashing on the front panel. I'm curious what you folks think; this has been ddriving  me nuts for the past month.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:57 PM

Install the new memory modules ensuring they are fully seated.  Start the server and hit F2 and check the System Memory.  It should reflect the newly installed amount.  If it does not then you need to run the Embedded System Diagnostics.  At the system boot press F10, click diagnostics in the left pane, and select Launch Diagnostics.  After running this you should have a better idea of the problem.  Most problems occur when the memory is not fully seated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users