Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 stuck in Automatic Repair Loop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 amlutrick

amlutrick

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:15 PM

Viewing a video on PC when the computer froze. Hard restart initiated and then the computer went into Automatic Repair Loop. Unable to get out of the Loop after several restarts.

Thank you.

amlutrick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:22 AM

Force a restart while holding down the power button.

Do this shortly after the little spinning wheel shows up

Do it 3 times - it should let you into the menu selection of Startup Repair.

If Automatic Repair isn't fixing things, then I'd suggest trying:

- System Restore, or

- Reset (using the Keep My Files option)

If still unable to get into Windows, try running the installation media again.

In the first or second screen (where it asks to install Windows), there will be a link in the lower left corner to "Repair this computer".

Use that to get into the Startup Repair menu.

CAUTION:  DO NOT go past this point unless you want to wipe everything off the hard drive and reinstall Windows!!!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 joshuals

joshuals

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:01 PM

The OP in this thread is a family member.  I'm posting a follow-up in hopes it will help someone else.

The original problem occurred while the OP was watching a video.  The computer froze during the video and it was necessary to do an illegal shutdown.  Upon restarting the computer it went into a repair loop.  The loop consisted of the following screens upon powering up:

• Black Screen with Dell Logo and F2 and F12 options
  • Windows 10 Logo Screen w/ message Preparing Windows Repair
  • Windows 10 Logo Screen w/ message Diagnosing Your PC
  • Automatic Repair Screen w/ message Your PC Did Not Start Correctly
  • Selecting Advanced Options from the above screen, the only working option was the Command Prompt

The problem turned out to be a corrupted Windows Registry.

The fix was to copy all five Registry Hives from the folder c:\windows\system32\config\regback to the folder c:\windows\system32\config, overwriting the existing Hives with the backups.  In general, I followed the procedure in This Link.  However, I booted the computer into XPUD on a flash drive and used the Files utility rather than moving the files using the Command Prompt.

After restoring the Registry as described above, the computer booted normally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users