Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gmail Ending? Google Starts Migrating Users:Forbes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:12 PM

Something rather interesting is happening at the Gmail.com domain right now. Google has started notifying users of its experimental ‘Inbox By Gmail’ service that this has replaced their Gmail account…

The pop-up appears when Inbox users login and states “Thanks for trying Inbox! To make it easier we’ve updated Gmail to redirect you here”. In plain URL terms this means the standalone inbox.google.com address for the beta service disappears and Inbox instead resides at gmail.com. 

The Beginning Of The End For Gmail?
The move has prompted several high profile industry observers to ask a very straightforward question:

I suspect the reality is somewhere in the middle: Google is looking to change the 11 year old service which has amassed over 900 million users and Inbox’s deeper trawling of user data allows it to offer a much wider range of intelligent automated features (including smart recognition of images, tickets, reminders and more). All this ties in with Google’s aim of advancing machine learning and the question of why none of it ever appeared in Gmail seems to have been answered.

That said Google also appears determined to tread very lightly with this. The opt out option is made very clear, reversing the merger can also be made in Settings and there’s a even a back-to-Gmail icon shortcut added to the Inbox menu which reverses the move for those who do switch and regret it.

Article

Google isn't spending all this money to have two email apps. I think it will be only a matter of time before it will be a forced migration.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:49 PM

Something rather interesting is happening at the Gmail.com domain right now. Google has started notifying users of its experimental ‘Inbox By Gmail’ service that this has replaced their Gmail account…

The pop-up appears when Inbox users login and states “Thanks for trying Inbox! To make it easier we’ve updated Gmail to redirect you here”. In plain URL terms this means the standalone inbox.google.com address for the beta service disappears and Inbox instead resides at gmail.com. 

The Beginning Of The End For Gmail?
The move has prompted several high profile industry observers to ask a very straightforward question:

I suspect the reality is somewhere in the middle: Google is looking to change the 11 year old service which has amassed over 900 million users and Inbox’s deeper trawling of user data allows it to offer a much wider range of intelligent automated features (including smart recognition of images, tickets, reminders and more). All this ties in with Google’s aim of advancing machine learning and the question of why none of it ever appeared in Gmail seems to have been answered.

That said Google also appears determined to tread very lightly with this. The opt out option is made very clear, reversing the merger can also be made in Settings and there’s a even a back-to-Gmail icon shortcut added to the Inbox menu which reverses the move for those who do switch and regret it.

Article

Google isn't spending all this money to have two email apps. I think it will be only a matter of time before it will be a forced migration.

I'll give the article a read later, but Google's own history, and with a myriad of its product offerings, indicates that it will eventually be a forced migration.  Even though it's painful, and I've been through it before, I can't blame any company that's offering you a service at no cost (direct monetary cost to the end user) from picking and choosing precisely what they will offer and how they will offer it.

Doing what Microsoft, and a number of other companies, have to do by supporting legacy versions of virtually any software they've sold within the last 15 years is insanity making.  Been there, done that, understand entirely why companies that don't want do to it, and have the luxury of saying so, don't do it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:18 PM

I'm not getting any notifications yet. I read the article, but I'm a bit confused. Does this mean that they'll phase out "name@gmail.com" for some other email address, or is this just a new email management interface for gmail?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:12 PM

I'm not getting any notifications yet. I read the article, but I'm a bit confused. Does this mean that they'll phase out "name@gmail.com" for some other email address, or is this just a new email management interface for gmail?

What I take from the article is that it's the latter.  It also sounds like their algorithmic analysis of your e-mail content (which, contrary to the typical comments elsewhere, isn't the same as "reading your e-mail") is getting more sophisticated so that the user interface can "help" you more [which it will, but it's also going to try to sell you more, too].

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:00 PM

Post #1, could you please explain what this means for those of us who use gmail via logging into the gmail website through the browser then using the webmail interface?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:43 PM

I think it all boils down to if you decide to login via the inbox domain of inbox.google.com vs gmail.com. If you login to your gmail account using inbox.google.com it will switch to inbox instead of Gmail. 

#7 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:34 PM

I've not gotten any notices either.   Somebody's always got to CHANGE stuff even if it breaks it/adds nothing or is a downgrade in service

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users