Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP desktop just froze up, now on restart (unpluging) imjust get high speed fan..

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 duffster

duffster

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:15 AM

HP desktop XP Media Center, SP3,

Had my desktop go down a few weeks ago, got it to restore to a day a week earlier. It ran fine for a week or two then it shut down again, i had to reboot in safe mode and it was working fine, was using it that way for a few weeks and the the other day while watching a youtube video it just froze up again.The power stayed on and the tower button stayed lit normally but the screen went to a colored vertical stripped wallpaper type screen back round. Nothing would get it out of this mode such as esc,ctrl-alt-del, held power button in. Since none of them worked I unplugged and when i plugged it back in and use the power button to turn it on it just runs the main case fan at high speed and nothing comes to life. The power button does not let it shutdown, i have to unplug it to do that.

Any suggestions ???????????????

Thx Rich

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2015 - 01:41 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,680 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:55 PM

The power supply has failed.

#3 duffster

duffster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

Thx for the reply.

I'll check it out and see if that gets me going.

#4 duffster

duffster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:41 PM

Checked out the power supply, have correct voltages at all the 3.3vdc and 12vdc pins, but.........the pins that should be 5vdc are reading 4.6-4.7vdc, is this normal.

The power supply is a Bestec model ATX 300-12z Rev. CDR.

And to add to my original post the fans that come on are the main case,the processor fan(that's on the heat sink) and the power supply fan.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,680 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

There's the problem.  Under load I'll bet the 5 volts drops below four volts and things will get strange from there.

#6 duffster

duffster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:35 PM

Well I picked up a new power supply($30) and didn't correct/fix my problem. Anything else I can/should check before I take it in for diagnosis and pay someone.

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:12 AM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 duffster

duffster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:07 AM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post

I would need my troublesome computer running to do this no ???

Anyhow I got a reference for a comuter guy locally, brought him my computer and within 5-10 minutes he said the mother board was shot, not worth the $150-$200 to fix being a 10 years old, no charge for his time. So I'm gonna hit the Costco website and look for my next purchase.

Thank you mjd420nova for your time and knowledge in answering my posts as it was helpful.

Edited by duffster, 12 December 2015 - 12:08 AM.

#9 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:24 PM

'Facepalm' did I really post that. Sorry.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users