Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it a good idea to consider USB internet access when upgrading to Win10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:31 AM

I've seen quite a few posts in which Wi-Fi connections become a problem after upgrading to Windows 10. I suspect it would be a good idea to purchase an external USB Ethernet adapter or Wireless adapter. Even though that's a few extra dollars it appears to me that at least the computer would connect to the Internet and troubleshooting problems would be pretty normal: Wouldn't that be a good idea?

--- I should add that the focus of my question is because I volunteer at our senior citizen center and I want to encourage those who are willing to do so to upgrade to Windows 10 with the understanding that they can revert back to their prior OS for whatever reason.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

That would be a good idea for a backup. Just make sure it is compatible with Windows 10. You can also use Ethernet as a fallback option to update the wireless driver.

The first thing a person should do when upgrading to 10 is create a disk image using Macrium Free or Aoemi Backupper Standard. Edit: Both programs let you create a bootable WinPE disk to do the restore.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 December 2015 - 11:03 AM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:05 AM

Also remind them they only have a short window to revert!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:17 AM

If a disk image is created then I believe you can revert  back to the original OS at any time.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:05 PM

If a disk image is created then I believe you can revert  back to the original OS at any time.

Very true but many do not have the knowledge/extra storage even if guided!

Edited by OldPhil, 05 December 2015 - 12:06 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:15 PM

Very true but many do not have the knowledge/extra storage even if guided!

Agree. 

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:22 PM

Thanks. I am a MR person and have Aoemi on my list.

On the "Very true but many do not have the knowledge/extra storage even if guided!"

So true. For upgrading to Windows 10 my plan is to create a system image backup of their original OS;

followed by a pristine Windows 10 system image backup.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,817 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:53 PM

cmptgy,

If you have extensive reinstallations of third-party (or even Microsoft, e.g., Office) software to do on a "newly minted" Win10 machine do give some thought as to whether you want to do a backup in the "pristine" state, particularly if you're faced with limited backup space.  If you've got the space and the time to do a pristine and a post-reinstalled-software system image then by all means, do so.  But if faced with a choice I'd take the system image once you've got it configured as the user generally uses it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:22 PM

britechguy, you are correct that ensuring limited backup space isn't an issue.

For my computer I keep only one system image backup on a monthly basis just before Patch Tuesdays on my Win7 computer and I will continue to do so when I upgrade to Win10. Fortunately I've never had to recall a system image backup and the few times I've tested them they worked just fine. That said when I create my Win10 pristine backup it will be followed up according to that same plan.

The focus of my intent to create a pristine Win10 system image backup is really for the people I help at our senior center as well as another non-profit organization I also volunteer at. Most of them won't agree to it. But I've seen too many posts in which Win10 upgrades started off ok but following added apps and who knows what ever else some users do, trouble happens. For those who are willing to do so I recommend what I do but that won't be too many: as usual it's very likely I'll spend hours helping others and I hope to avoid that when possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users