Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi disconnected after upgrading Windows 10 to version 1511

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 El Boyero

El Boyero

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:18 AM

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad  S10-3, it was upgraded from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 10 early august. Working find everything until updating to version 1511 in november, after rebooting with the new version the WiFi appears disconnected, it only shows airplane mode and I can only connect to internet by cable. I have tried changing drivers, disconnecting and reconnecting wireless, even going back to former Windows 10 version, etc. but no way. WiFi appears with a red cross!. Can somebody help me about this? . Why WiFi worked so fine in the former version and why it´s disconnected in the new version?. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Eradicator de malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

Hello,

Outdated or non-supported VPN software that was configured pre-upgrade would  result in the customer not having WI-FI ability.

It is also possible that if you have some old VM drivers that may be at the root of this type issue.

Look at Network Connections adapater settings.   See if you see something there that you no longer have listed there.

See this Microsoft KB
"No wireless networks are available after you upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10"
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3084164

~Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP (Oct 2002 - Sept 2010)

#3 El Boyero

El Boyero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:13 PM

Thanks Maurice for your attention. As stated the laptop was working fine during two and a half months and the issue with WiFi started after the uodating to version 1511. I checked VPN problems, also Network Conmections setting, they are the former ones and nothing has changed from the former Windows 10 version.In Device Manager the wireless network connector device appears OK and same  the driver  but there is not WiFi connection, only Airplane mode.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:17 AM

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 El Boyero

El Boyero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:41 AM

Thanks a lot usasma for your valuable interest and help. I´ll try to send you the information but let me to resume the issue. Early august my PC was upgraded to Windows 10, for two and a half months it was working fine but after the upgrading to version 1511 the WiFi was disconnected and I only can connect to internet via cable, the airplane option is available but as you know it´s not able for connecting to internet. I have checked with both Micrososft and Lenovo support without receiving any significant help. So it´s a rare issue because the PC worked fine until that upgrade and it´s evidently caused by the upgrade to version 1511. I had the hope of receiving any patch or something from MS or Lenovo but no way. I´ll appreciate your help.

A further details: when start on the PC the WiFi indicator light is OFF and in the BIOS the WiFi appears ENABLE.

Edited by El Boyero, 11 December 2015 - 11:09 AM.

#6 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:09 AM

Thanks Maurice for your attention. As stated the laptop was working fine during two and a half months and the issue with WiFi started after the uodating to version 1511. I checked VPN problems, also Network Conmections setting, they are the former ones and nothing has changed from the former Windows 10 version.In Device Manager the wireless network connector device appears OK and same  the driver  but there is not WiFi connection, only Airplane mode.

Right click on "Network" on bottom right of Task Bar.

Click on "Troubleshoot Problems" then after that on "I'm having a different problem"

This will give you other options.

Choose "Use a specific network adapter"...for example Ethernet or Wireless etc.

Edited by calden, 12 December 2015 - 06:15 AM.

#7 El Boyero

El Boyero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:25 AM

Thanks calden, I have tried that before and received the message: "Use the switch to enable wireless capability on this computer.." but that switch has always been ON, and in the BIOS  the WiFi is shown ENABLE. The option "Use a specific network adapter" is not shown in my computer. That happens after the upgrading to version 1511, With the former version WiFi and everything worked fine.

Edited by El Boyero, 12 December 2015 - 08:46 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,218 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:31 AM

From your post#5 are you saying that airplane mode is enabled and you cannot disable it?

#9 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:21 AM

Try my earlier post again but first disconnect the Ethernet cable.

To turn OFF Airplane mode click on Settings (above power on and off) and type in box at top airplane mode....it usually appears after only two letters.

#10 El Boyero

El Boyero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

No, I can disable or enable airplane mode anytime. I have tried your suggestion with and without the Ethernet cable connected, with the same result; "wireless capability is turned off".

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,218 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:41 PM

Right click your Wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

#12 El Boyero

El Boyero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

JohnC_21 Thanks, here I go: PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_30A117AA&REV_01

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,218 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

This is an Atheros 9285 chipset. I went to the Lenovo website and a Wireless driver is not available.

Is this a 32 bit or 64 bit OS?

Go here and download version 10.0.0.324  Click on the green download button. It will take a bit before the download begins. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. There will be 6 files in the folder. If you have 64 bit keep the files with the X suffix and delete the rest. If you have 32 bit then delete the files with the X suffix. 

In Device Manger Right click your Wireless adapter and select properties. Under the Drivers tab select Update Driver. Select Browse My Computer for driver Software. Point it to the inf file in the folder. 

See this guide. It is for Windows 8 but the procedure is the same.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 December 2015 - 04:29 PM.

#14 El Boyero

El Boyero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:51 PM

No way friend! Downloaded and installed driver 10.0.0.324 and still WiFi disconnected, When checking in Device Manager shows: "This device is working properly" !!!!.By the way the current driver is version 10.0.0.326. What worry me is the fact that before updating to version 1511 everything worked fine, Anyway thanks a lot and I' ll appreciate any further help.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,218 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:34 PM

Yeah, there have been quite a few issues with Windows 10 and internet connectivity. The only thing I can think of is to try Netadapter all in one repair. Select the Wireless adapter in the dropdown box and then press Advanced Repair. Note: you may want to roll back the driver to 326 if you have not done so already. Then try the Netadapter utility.

If that does not work then you may want to look at a USB dongle like these. Unfortunately, none seem to have drivers for Windows 10 unless Windows 10 has native drivers for them.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN725N.html

http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/global/wireless_adapters_n150/ew-7811un

If you don't wish to spend too much money you may want to chance one like this from Ebay although I am not sure it would work on 10

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Nano-Mini-Wireless-Wifi-Adapter-Dongle-Receiver-Network-LAN-Card-PC-150Mbps-/271916780392?hash=item3f4f80cb68:g:gsgAAOSwgQ9Vkg2e

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users