Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kubuntu tweaks - looking for tips

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:01 AM

Hey everyone.

Welcome to the weekend.

Well, it's the weekend here in the Winterland household and the coffee's on, help yourself to a cup.

So, I'm humming along now with my somewhat new dual boot - Windows 7 Home and Kubuntu 14.04 - and everything seems to be working pretty well. I've jumped back & forth several times, making sure I can access both sides and everything is working well.

I'm on my Linux side right now and there are a few little things that I can't seem to figure out. I've tried searching via the standard routes - Google, Duck Duck Go and even the official database I found here but am still stymied.

I would also like to point out that my end goal is to tweak this Distro so that most things look / feel / act like my Windows side. If that's not possible, I'm okay with that, but I don't want to give up without trying.

Here's the wish list:

• System Notifications sounds.  Logging off / logging on / pop up windows - what am I missing here and/or how do I turn these on and tweak?

• Firefox fonts? I seem to be missing some of the defaults in Firefox that are available on my Windows side but not in Kubuntu

Here's a screen shot of the fonts see in Firefox on my Windows side but are not available when I go to tweak them in Kubuntu.

Firefox%20settings%20on%20Windows%202.jp

Those are my two biggest hurdles as things stand now.

If there are any other tweaks and/or ideas that you think I should check out please let me know.

I did turn on my firewall and have been updating all my apps as they've become available and also downloaded the usual suspects:  VLC Media Player, LibreOffice, a few games, GIMP, etc.

Thanks.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:34 AM

For the fonts you can install the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package, or kubuntu-restricted-extras, which will install fonts and additional packages (mp3 support, flash player...)

#3 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

To bring up the "start menu" using the Meta key (aka Windows key) you can install ksuperkey opening Konsole and running these commands:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mehanik/ksuperkey
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ksuperkey

Logout and login again (or reboot) to make it work.

​Additionaly, there are themes for window decoration (and other components) to mimic Windows 7 look and feel.

PxjonZw.png

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

Hello nuna and thanks for the links and tips.  :thumbup2:

I installed ksuperkey and it worked like a champ.

I've also been playing with the Sounds and also clicking my way through all the Themes - seeing what I like, don't like, etc.

Appreciate the link to the Eyecandy site.

Once I get a few more tweaks done, I'll probably start installing a few of those and see what feels good and what doesn't.

I went ahead and - I think - installed both the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package and kubuntu-restricted-extras and then rebooted but don't see them anywhere.

I went to System Settings > Font Management but don't see Times New Roman listed.

I also opened up Preferences in Firefox > Content > and selected the Advance button to the right of Fonts & Colors, but again, did not see any of the choices that I screen shot in my OP.

I'm having fun stumbling my way through this Distro, but between the lack of fonts and the resolution on the screen, which doesn't seem as sharp on my Windows side - it is becoming a little bit of a strain on my middle-aged eyes.   :wacko:

I'll keep working on tweaking the screen resolution but if you could offer any other tips on this Font issue, I would be very grateful.

Thanks again for the help.

Winterland

#5 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:09 PM

​For the fonts you could install just the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package but you will be better with the restricted extras.

Open Konsole and run these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ​kubuntu-restricted-extras

The instructions are to install them from the terminal emulator (command line) but the same can be accomplished through a graphical software/package manager (like Synaptic, Muon Software Center, Muon Package Manager, Muon Discover, Ubuntu Software Center, Apper...)

​About the screen resolution, did you install additional proprietary drivers? You can do so from System Settings → Driver Manager.

Edited by nuna, 06 December 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:52 PM

Happy to have another Mint KDE User!  Curious how you ended up installing?  Was reviewing your partitions as of last time they were posted.  

Did you end up installing in between C: and D: or did you move D: to the left and install to the end?

Did you end up with /root, home/ and swap?

What did you end up with 17.1 or .2?

Good luck, you will love this OS!!!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:22 PM

@ Winterland, I quite like the Ghost theme on Kubuntu.

KDE-look.org OMG do not go there its becomes addictive fast. :bananas:

Edited by NickAu, 06 December 2015 - 11:23 PM.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,478 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:58 AM

From what I see your pc is up to the task for these tweaks, but be sure to have a backup as some of these will bork your system.  I have been tweaking a little and my head is smoking because there is so much to change.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:09 AM

​For the fonts you could install just the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package but you will be better with the restricted extras.

Open Konsole and run these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ​kubuntu-restricted-extras

The instructions are to install them from the terminal emulator (command line) but the same can be accomplished through a graphical software/package manager (like Synaptic, Muon Software Center, Muon Package Manager, Muon Discover, Ubuntu Software Center, Apper...)

​About the screen resolution, did you install additional proprietary drivers? You can do so from System Settings → Driver Manager.

Hello again nuna - I will try to (re)install the restricted-extras via the Com Line this weekend and let you know what I see, if anything.

Question - should I go ahead and uninstall the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package?

As for installing the proprietary drivers - I don't think I did.

I was getting frustrated in the first few days of the install - not realizing that I needed to reboot after I kept selecting the Driver from the choices that were presented to me, so I can't remember what I selected, but will double-check that this weekend also.

Thanks again for the help & please accept my apology for the delay in my response - things at work have been hectic, but in the good way.

Happy to have another Mint KDE User!  Curious how you ended up installing?  Was reviewing your partitions as of last time they were posted.  

Did you end up installing in between C: and D: or did you move D: to the left and install to the end?

Did you end up with /root, home/ and swap?

What did you end up with 17.1 or .2?

Good luck, you will love this OS!!!

pcpunk - greetings!

I'm actually running Kubuntu 14.04 LTS and loving it.

And I know that I've just begun to scratch the surface as to what this OS can do. Still in the tweaking phase, trying to find the Windows-like apps that I can use (and get used to) so that I'm just as fast on that side as I am on my Windows side. And, as Nick notes below, I'm still fussing / selecting with the built-in themes and it seems endless and wonderful.

As for how my HDD is set up - post install - here is what it ended up looking like:

HDD_Dec%202016%20dual%20boot.jpg

Quite honestly, I still don't know what all those Volumes even mean. I know what is what, sort of, but as for the install, it's been working great. Upon boot I got the Grub Menu and all my choices are there and, as I mentioned previously, I have logged into both sides multiple times and everything is working well on both.    w00t!   :bounce:

And as for your advice about backups - no stress there. If there is anything I've learned here at Bleeping Computer, it is the power of back-ups. Heck, I've got back-ups of my back-ups.

@ Winterland, I quite like the Ghost theme on Kubuntu.

KDE-look.org OMG do not go there its becomes addictive fast. :bananas:

Hey Nick. I just saw a video on YouTube of this Ghost theme and it looks amazing. I'm going to test drive it this weekend.

First thing it made me think was, "Oh, I'm going to need a bigger monitor!:lol:

Thanks everyone for checking in and giving the feedback. I will have more updates this weekend, most likely Sunday morning since I have to work on Saturday.

onward,

Winterland

#10 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:31 AM

There's no need to uninstall it. kubuntu-restricted-extras will install/update it.
When installing the fonts you have to accept the license agreement that will show up.

#11 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:32 AM

Hi,

for firefox there used to be the firefox-kde-support package that would fix things like protocol handlers, download dialogs and so on. It was discontinued, but your version might be old enough for this package to still exist. You can simply search for it.

If that is not the case then look at this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~plasmazilla It's basically the same firefox-kde-package plus a firefox compiled without gtk dependencies (so without anything that's normally associated with gnome) and should allow you to solve all possible issues with default programs and such.
It was split into a separate ppa because noone at Kubuntu had the time to maintain it as an official package after the original author stepped down.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,478 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

Doh, forgot it was Kubuntu lol, right in the title lol.  Still, we are both running similar Desktops...KDE.

It appears that you have /root, home/ and swap all on one Partition...unless that 7GB is for linux also? lol

As for how my HDD is set up - post install - here is what it ended up looking like:

Not important but, If it was Post Install it must be the 402.97GB that you installed to?

I'm envious that you are running Kubuntu, one day I might also.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:09 AM

Greetings everyone - sorry for the delay in between posts - things at work have gotten real busy - in the good way - but busy none the less.

So I've been playing with the appearance of my distro and it's fun and gorgeous but there are still a few things that are not coming together and I need a little bit more help.

As for the the screen resolution, I went ahead and tried the Recommended Driver, which was one of three listed and it looked horrible.

When I'm looking at the selections from my Driver Manager it is listed as the option to Use X.Org X Server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper......etc and when I selected that one and restarted, my current resolution 1366x768 Auto was not even an option, so I went back to the 2nd option and things look good, but not as crisp as my Windows desktop - if that makes any sense.

My second issue is the ongoing missing fonts in Firefox.

I tried the two commands listed by nuna and the first  get update works without any issue but when I paste the second command in I get this message:

install%20restricted%20extras%201.png

So there you go.

Ideas? Thoughts? Command lines?

Thanks for being out there.

Winterland

#14 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

About restricted extras... the package is in the multiverse repository (which seems to be enabled on your computer).
I would try to use another server mirror (update manager  More... → Advanced → Configure Software Sources), then run again the two commands.

If it fails, you may use the next command to update kubuntu (it will retrieve newer versions of your installed packages)

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Edited by nuna, 19 December 2015 - 04:21 PM.

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

You will find Kubuntu restricted extras in Muon.

You can also use Ubuntu restricted extras.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users