Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No wifi in certain area

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lenton22

Lenton22

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:56 AM

Hello,

Okay, the problem is that when a user tries to connect to wi-fi, he gets that access is limited. Even though the connection is good and the password correct. How to fix that? And it's all users in certain building area.

Edited by Lenton22, 05 December 2015 - 08:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 niftygeek

niftygeek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:33 PM

Are they all using the same access point or is there a different device for that area of the building?

#3 Lenton22

Lenton22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:34 PM

Same access point

#4 niftygeek

niftygeek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

If it's an office, and they are in the same department, they may all be running similar software (even spyware inadvertently shared).

If the access point is the same as the one used by other unaffected users (who can use the wifi), I would look at the similarities in hardware and software on the affected machines.  Perhaps all running a different A/V package from the rest of the building.

Can you describe more of the differences between affected and unaffected users?  Are the users in the affected portion of the building the most recent to try to get on wifi?

Have you tried moving one of the affected computers to a place in the building where wifi access is okay for others?  If it connects, then the problem has to be area specific (but I doubt it -- if the signal is strong, I suspect something else).

The yellow exclamation point (limited connectivity) is usually a problem with DHCP.  It could be the DHCP pool is all used up.  Might check there.  Or if using a domain and they are also connected via a cable, there may be a conflict.

#5 Lenton22

Lenton22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:47 AM

Users don't get any internet in that  certain area, in other areas it works fine, so I am now guessing that it could be access point problem. And the icon shows on those computers that connection is excellent, but gives the limited connection problem.

Which gives another question, can I restore the connection trough main router?

#6 niftygeek

niftygeek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:53 AM

Sorry Lenton.  I don't understand your question of "restore the connection through main router".

You also didn't answer the questions that I asked you above.  I'd like to help, but you need to take part in the troubleshooting.

#7 Lenton22

Lenton22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:45 AM

Okay, I will try.

The area has different access point from others, it is not software thing, the users are not new to the connection, they have always been using it. other areas are not affected, internet works there fine.  And like I said, when trying to connect to wifi in that area(the not working one), the icon shows full green (very good connection), but when you try to connect, it gives that access is limited.

I'm new on all this sutff, so even the most common answer might be it :)

#8 niftygeek

niftygeek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

Use the network connection on the access point and plug it into another device (laptop) and check that the path to the gateway is working.  If that works without a problem, then it sounds like the access point needs to be replaced.

#9 niftygeek

niftygeek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:10 AM

Limited connectivity usually means a DNS or DHCP problem.  DNS is is a service that translates something like yahoo.com into an IP address like 45.63.66.2.

DHCP is a service that gives out IP addresses to individual computers so they can communicate with each other.  If either one isn't configured correctly (or the path *behind* the access point is broken), you'll get that limited connectivity yellow triangle.

The first thing to do is make sure the network cable is plugged in at both ends (in the access point and the switch) and make sure the connectivity light is on.  If the light for the port where the wire plugs in is dark on either end (access point or switch) then there is a problem with a port or the wire.  Do that first -- and test with a laptop by unplugging the wire on the access point and plugging it into the laptop.

#10 Lenton22

Lenton22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:27 AM

Thx for all help Niftygeek. The problem is solved. And it was the easiest and most obvious solution: unplug the access point, wait few seconds and plug it back in. :D

#11 niftygeek

niftygeek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

Good to hear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users