Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win98 And Me Users Now Have A Reason To Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:45 PM

Win98 and ME users now have a reason to upgrade, says Microsoft

In an effort to get old PCs upgraded -- and generate more revenue -- to newer versions of Windows, Microsoft this week announced a new version of Windows called Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs. The new operating system will be a highly stripped down version of Windows XP, taking out all the fancy bells and whistles.

Microsoft says that there are many legacy systems that are not capable of upgrading to a full blown Windows XP install, and there are more systems where users are hesitant to upgrade. With Windows Fundamentals, Microsoft says that old systems will be able to receive all the latest security features and updates of recent systems, without having to sacrifice performance. Unfortunately, Windows Fundamentals will be limited to what applications it can run. Microsoft says that the OS is capable of running security tools, management software, and several document viewers. Larger applications will need to be run from a server. According to Microsoft:

Microsoft Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs is a Windows-based operating system designed for customers who have older computers running earlier operating systems and who are not in a position to purchase new hardware. This operating system is available only to Microsoft Software Assurance customers and helps you get the most from your older hardware, thereby reducing your total cost of ownership.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3323

only to businesses (I'd guess that's what it means) How :thumbsup: of them. It should be made availble to the G.P. I'd think unless it's because they know it would kill "regular" xp and Vista sales (if and when it's finally released) or would they rather people keep installing Linux instead ?
this should have been released years ago, the more un-needed services you kill , the less places for malware to hide , bingo, enhanced security and lessens the chances to look like a bunch of idiots every time a new vulnerability shows up or a new root kit appears , especially after calling a press conference to tout their new focus on security only to have security firms post 6 new unpatched critical vulnerabilitys the next day.(I think that was about a year or alittle more ago :flowers: )

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:06 PM

Okay, but how do you download it?

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:41 PM

You cant!

"This operating system is available only to Microsoft Software Assurance customers"

That in essence means that you have to have a volume licencing agreement with Microsoft
Leaving the single home user out.

See http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/program...ndamentals.mspx
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:32 AM

That's pretty stupid considering they talk about people with the older computers being able to get them running on this software and be safe with something other than Win98/ME.

You'd think they'd sell it for a small fee so you'd still be able to use your old computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users