Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

moving program files, settings, registry entries, etc. to a new Win7 install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jd213

jd213

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:44 AM

After being unable to fix a black logon screen problem (see: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/594456/black-logon-screen-wmovable-mouse-pointer-after-failed-system-restore/ ), I'm going to do a clean install. I'd like to save time and copy as much of my programs and settings as possible. Before I start re-installing, I want to back up things like program folders, registry entries, etc. and then copy them back into Windows 7 once it's newly installed. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I did a search, but I'm not sure where the best place to start is. Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2015 - 01:29 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup, Imaging, Disk Management Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:02 AM

I'd like to save time and copy as much of my programs and settings as possible. Before I start re-installing, I want to back up things like program folders, registry entries, etc. and then copy them back into Windows 7 once it's newly installed.

Well, I read through all 4 pages of your previous post. A fresh re-install does appear to be your best option. You will have to reinstall all software you have previously installed. Installed software can not be saved & transferred. You can however save the files you may have created with the software. In a nutshell, you can save Documents created, Text Files, Music, Photos, Videos, any software installers you may have downloaded & saved, your browser Favorites/Bookmarks & its settings, etc.

Attempting to selectively cherry pick Registry settings is an exercise in futility, hair pulling, & will probably lead you to considerably more time & trouble. The registry is very complex & software entries are scattered throughout the registry. I would not install a backup of your existing registry either.

Get any drivers downloaded & saved that you may need from the manufacturer's support website, backup your files, install a fresh copy of the OS, needed drivers, then install the required windows updates. You can set the windows updates to Download & Install Automatically, or Notify. I personally prefer the Notify setting as it provides one with control over what updates get installed.

After you get your system up to date, your software installed, etc. you might want to create an Image/Clone backup. That's a real time-saver for those occasions when everything decides to head South.

Edited by saw101, 05 December 2015 - 03:41 AM.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

Ugh, great. Yeah, I definitely wish I would have backed up my PC, but I guess I just figured Windows 7 was much more robust than this. Never thought that it could have totally unrecoverable problems like this.

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:02 PM

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, but here is something that can save you considerable time. Of late it seems that W7 updates are taking forever to download & get installed. I've had good luck using this with Win 7 computers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

A good guide with pics & Download link....Disregard the Dell labeling as it all applies to your system regardless... http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/wsus-offline-update/

Edited by saw101, 05 December 2015 - 04:03 PM.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#5 jd213

jd213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:49 AM

Hmm, that might be convenient but I'm a bit apprehensive about using a 3rd party source for Windows updates, so I think I'll just wait for Windows Update to run while I do other stuff. Thanks, though.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:22 AM

There are some migration programs out there, however, I have never used one.  Don't know how successful such would be.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users