Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Network Adapter Losing Connection

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 roflconlol

roflconlol

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:18 AM

PC: HP Pavillion g6 notebook

Network adapters: Ralink RT5390R 8-2.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter (Date: 5/18/2015, Version: 5.0.57.0), and Realtek PCle FE Family Controller (Date: 4/01/2015, Version: 9.1.401.2015)

Problem: Every once in a while, I'll lose my internet connection. When I click the wifi icon on the taskbar, there will be no networks listed. The only way to fix the problem is to go the Device Manager, disable the Ralink Wi-Fi Adapter and then re-enable it. This fixes the problem anywhere from a of couple minutes to a couple of hours, then it happens again. 

Solutions I've tried: I've tried doing a system restore but it failed and there are no more restore points. I've tried uninstalling the Ralink driver, downloading a new copy, and reinstalling it. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:07 PM

See if anything here helps

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-wifi-drops-intermittently/35fa186f-2299-4a85-8b62-93c2e9422f23

Particullaly you could try:

Find your wifi device in network Connections

Right click and select Properties, and then the Configure button of the device.

Select the Power Management tab, and the Deselect the check box for “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”

Then OK, or Apply.

Also wondering why theres a restore issue,You could try running it in Safe mode,its supposed to have a higher sucess rate

System restore in Safe mode instructions here,also shows you how to do a system reset without losing yor documents:

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-to-fix-windows-10-problems-with-system-restore-11364008291943

#3 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:12 PM

Maybe the wires are loose on the wifi card.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#4 roflconlol

roflconlol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:20 AM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-wifi-drops-intermittently/35fa186f-2299-4a85-8b62-93c2e9422f23

Select the Power Management tab, and the Deselect the check box for “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”

Then OK, or Apply.

Also wondering why theres a restore issue,You could try running it in Safe mode,its supposed to have a higher sucess rate

System restore in Safe mode instructions here,also shows you how to do a system reset without losing yor documents:

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-to-fix-windows-10-problems-with-system-restore-11364008291943

I'm using Windows 10 and right clicking my my WiFi device in the connections list brings up no menu

How would I check this?

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:04 AM

Then OK, or Apply.

I'm using Windows 10 and right clicking my my WiFi device in the connections list brings up no menu

How would I check this?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:11 PM

Yes you should be able to see Disable,connect / disconect etc.

Probably not a good sign,since you have no restore points...dont know actually why that disapears..not a context menu issue,some kind of system issue

Wondering if theres a virus going on,have you scanned for malware?

You might be looking at doing a system reset...

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4130-reset-windows-10-a.html

See option two if you dont have install media

To Reset Windows 10 from Settings in Windows 10

#7 niherlas

niherlas

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:12 PM

Check your Windows 10 version. 'winver' at the command prompt.

If you're at OS Build 10586.17 or 10586.29, you may be experiencing issues that seemed to be introduced with KB3116908 (and continued with KB3116900). Here's how to test:

1. Uninstall KB3116908 and KB3116900 (both cumulative updates)
  2. Reboot.
  3. Use wushowhide.diagcab to hide those updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

You should find yourself back at OS Build 10586.14. Test for stability, report your results back.

Of course, blocking updates has security implications. And the next cumulative update, if it doesn't address the issue, will still include the contents of the two updates you uninstalled.

#8 niherlas

niherlas

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

As I've noted in another thread, it looks like KB3124200 (OS Build 10586.36) may resolved this problem - I've been going without issue since installation over 2 hours ago. Would love to hear feedback from any others.

#9 Help_Computers_Sick_

Help_Computers_Sick_

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:34 PM

I was having same issue on hp dv7 with ralink card tried all the steps listed. Final step I Tried today was go to adapter properties ipv 4 properties set it to use these dns and entered the primary and secondary dns foe my provider. So far so good 6 hours no drop yet.

#10 highlandstarr

highlandstarr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:19 PM

I too am using Windows 10 and have recently starting having this same issue, so I don't believe it's related to the card or driver, but another Windows 10 issue. When my computer drops the connection, it doesn't show the connections or options that it should and usually does. I suggest, when your computer reconnects (sometimes rebooting helps,) right-click on your Internet connection in the bottom right of your task bar, select "Open Network and Sharing Center." Then in the active networks "connections" it should show your ISP in blue. Left click on it. That will take you to the Wi-Fi Status pop-up where you can access the "Properties" (not "Wireless Properties") to try Wolverine 7's suggestion:

Then OK, or Apply.

I've just tried it and so far, so good. [Fingers crossed.] Thanks Wolverine 7!

#11 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:27 PM

Your welcome,glad it worked :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users