Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu usb-creator bugs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:03 AM

Just though I would try and save our users the headache of using this tool and not knowing it won't work in these situations.  I don't use it but I know some have mentioned interest in it.

"Due to changes in syslinux, it is not currently possible to use usb-creator from 14.04 and earlier releases to write USB images for 15.04 or later; we believe that it is also not possible to use usb-creator from a 15.04 or later system to write USB images for earlier releases. For now the workaround is to use a matching release of Ubuntu to write the images, but we intend to issue updates soon to work around this incompatibility. 13258011446646and 1499746"

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WilyWerewolf/ReleaseNotes#Boot.2C_installation_and_post-install

Edited by pcpunk, 05 December 2015 - 01:43 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:12 AM

Good to know.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:52 AM

I've rarely had luck with the included USB creator, regardless of if it was the same distro version (like from Mint MATE to Cinnamon), as well as older & newer versions. 

While there are many really good inbuilt Linux tools, the USB creator & backup tools aren't among these. They've had years to fix these issues & are still present, so I choose my own, using the Universal USB Installer 1-2-3 on Windows. It's fast, portable & very reliable. This doesn't imply that Windows is better than Linux, only some of their developers makes good tools to use, unfortunately, there's no portable Linux install tool for use on these OS's. Even GParted has to be downloaded separate from the OS for use on other computers, no way to create a bootable image other than download. 

Hopefully the above fixes takes care of the issue, though we've heard this before a few years back, when ISO's fit on a CD. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users