Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Numerous Windows 10 Problems in both safe mode and regular mode

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bob2000

Bob2000

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:01 AM

Hello.

Please let me know what additional information is needed to assist. Thank you.

I'm on a Windows 10 computer, Asus, here's a list of things that aren't working.

1. When trying to start the computer in safe mode with networking, the networking function doesn't work. Can not connect to the internet in safe mode with networking. Can't connect to the internet in any safe mode.

2.  All system restore points have been erased/deleted and can not restore the computer.

3.  At this point not able to access the internet on regular Windows 10 mode. Not on Wifi, not on Ethernet. I've tried two wifi connections and nothing has worked. (note: other computers work fine and are able to connect to the computer).

4. Attempting to go back to the previous build, the system stops and doesn't do anything. Does not go back to the prior build, just stalls out in the blue screen that says  "go back to the previous build" and has for the past..... Eight hours or so.

Now, not able to access the internet by any means, nor safemode... I'm stumped on what I should do. The original reason for trying to go to safe mode with networking was due to a slow internet connection.  The computer was running on Windows 7 originally (more than thirty days since the change). In the long run I'd like to figure out if there's a way to return this to Windows 7, but right now even getting a fully operating Windows 10 is desired.  Any assistance is appreciated.   Thank you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:18 AM

Either one or the other of the answers supplied to another members problems by technonymous and JohnC_21 respectively, should at least get you to a point where you can recover Win 10.

Be aware that by doing a Reset of windows 10, you will lose any programs that you have installed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/598446/critical-error-your-start-menu-isnt-working-well-try-to-fix-it/#entry3878947

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/598446/critical-error-your-start-menu-isnt-working-well-try-to-fix-it/#entry3878954

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Bob2000

Bob2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:02 AM

Hi this doesn't work it stalls out on a blank screen. I can't even get an elevated command prompt any longer when/if Windows 10 loads. Any aid from anyone is greatly appreciated.

#4 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:13 AM

Do you want to go back to Windows 7 or do you just want to fix the Internet issue?

#5 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:30 AM

Is there any exclamation mark under Device Manager → Network adapters?

#6 Bob2000

Bob2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:40 AM

If I can go back to Windows 7 (note: I do not have any recovery disk) then that would be ideal. If not then if I can fix not being able to connect to the internet, fix getting to safe mode with networking, and fix being able to reset the computer it would be helpful. 

And there is currently a red X on the Wifi signal. When I try to connect to the signal available it flashes just briefly that it's connected then it disconnects. The other laptop and the cell phone are both able to connect without problems. 

#7 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:03 AM

Press the "Windows Button" and "R" simultaneously.

Typ in cmd

A new window will open.

Typ in cd Desktop

Then typ in ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt

Go to your Desktop and open the file "ipconfig.txt".

Copy and paste the content of that file here.

1. You may wish to omit the "Host Name" part, because of your privacy!! (in case your hostname includes real names of you or someone else)

2. If you do already have a file called "ipconfig.txt" on the Desktop, then you may wish to move that file somewhere else, otherwise it is being replaced.

#8 Bob2000

Bob2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:09 AM

Hello.

This does not work and by that, no file is generated. Even if it did generate the only thing that is working is the optical drive, which, I don't have any CD's to transfer any data over. USB doesn't work so I can't upload the file, then move the USB stick to the computer I"m using to access Bleeping Computer then paste it regardless. Nothing shows up on my desktop when this happens.

#9 Bob2000

Bob2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:10 AM

Here's a question:   The computer I'm using now to try to look up things to fix the other computer is also an ASUS. Can go buy some CDs/DVDs, burn a recovery disk, change the BIOS boot order functions, and use the recovery disk for the faulty ASUS comptuer?  Just putting that out there as an option... At this point anything would be helpful.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:41 AM

Do you need any programs on the current install or are you okay with a clean install of Windows 10? If the original factory reset partition is still intact tapping F9 at boot should bring up the recovery manager and take you back to Windows 7. If that does not work you can create new Windows 10 media using the Media Creation Tool here.

If you do the full factory reset or use the MCT then backup all your personal data including bookmarks and email if you use an email client. If you are using any programs that require licenses such as Office then make sure you have those before the reset. 

On a clean Windows 10 install you should download any Windows 10 drivers from your OEMs support site. What model of Asus is this?

#11 Bob2000

Bob2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:53 AM

Thank you John.  Tapping F9  works and is in process now.  There's no personal data/email/pictures/anything on this laptop that I'm aware of nor any non open source software.   This is ASUS K53Z from what I can tell. 

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/K53Z/

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

If the Reset to Windows 7 works then keep it and forget about Windows 10 until at least the Redstone update next year. Since Windows 10 has now been activated on your computer you should be able to install it again at anytime without an activation issue. 

Edit: It may be a good idea to disable automatic updates on Windows 7. Let it notify you of updates but you choose when to install. Only install Security Updates and forget the important updates unless they affect you. In Update Settings make you you uncheck the box Give recommended updates the same way I receive Important upates. Also install GWX control panel to prevent Windows 10 from downloading to your computer again.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 December 2015 - 10:38 AM.

#13 Bob2000

Bob2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

Thank you! The reset is still in progress. I'll update once it has finished if it is a success or a failure. I'll keep that in mind for the Windows 10 update in the future.

#14 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:15 AM

To get on internet have you tried this.

On taskbar "Internet Access" on right side next to notification box,

Right click brings up two options, Troubleshoot Options and Open network and sharing centre.

In Troubleshoot Option after scan click on "I'm having a different problem."

Click on "use a specific network adapter" and select whichever one you need to diagnose.

Edited by calden, 05 December 2015 - 11:16 AM.

#15 Bob2000

Bob2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

Thanks John for your assistance in everything. Windows 7 is running again and I set up the computer similar to how my own Windows 7 machine runs. With hope there shouldn't be any further problems. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users