Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixbox x700

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ac19189

ac19189

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:01 PM

So I was at a second hand store today and noticed this Firebox x700 for like less then ten bucks I figured what the hell something to play with right. XD

After a bit of googling I have noticed I need the software it comes with to access this thing. I have made my own cross over cable it didnt come with the console cable and I dont have one on hand at the moment. Some people were saying rip it open and install pfsense on it. XD Needless to say I just want to mess around with it I cant get into it and I dont have much of an idea where to get the software OR how to get into this thing. Anyone feel like helping me out on this one? :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:32 PM

Looks like an old firewall appliance. Google is your friend. :) Here's a thread talking about it and putting fpsense on it. http://hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1677010.html Is the console port ethernet or serial? Them second hand places are a good place to pickup power adapters and null modem cables. Maybe they tossed the cables into a box somewhere seperate? Anyways, once you have a console cable you should be able to telnet into it. Try Google for the manual.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:36 PM

Here is some youtube info on it....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu1s0nnGgLI

#4 ac19189

ac19189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:20 AM

Rofl I just noticed I called it fixbox LOL Anyway I know I could put pfsense on it I want to try and access it before I do that I also wanted to try the software it normally comes with but I cant find a copy of the software it comes with to save my life so I might need to put pfsense on it anyway. :P

Looks like the people that got rid of it didnt even clear its settings it more or less looks like it was just unplugged and donated. xD

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:09 AM

Well the chances of fidning the orignal software etc is pretty slim. Not saying it's impossble you would have to do some deep googling. :) That is why everyone was saying put pfsense on it. As far as connecting to it. I would crack it open first to makes sure it hasn't been gutted. Does it still have it's hd, flash card, memory etc? Also, finding out the condition of those. Without a serial console cable you can't do anything as far accessing it.

Edited by technonymous, 05 December 2015 - 04:10 AM.

#6 ac19189

ac19189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:57 AM

I opened it up it had a flash card in but when I dropped it into my card reader I got a request to format it so.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:59 PM

Likely in ext3 format and Windows isn't going to see it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users