Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Critical Error - Your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it. . .

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:35 PM

. . . the next time you sign in.

Hello All, I'm looking at precisely this error message, in a blue box, on a friend's Samsung XE500T1C after an upgrade, via GWX, to Windows 10.  The only option is to "Sign out now".  Needless to say repeated log outs and log ins have not resolved the issue.  Also the Windows Search/Cortana box doesn't work.

I would suggest a Reset Install but, without the Start menu to get to Settings, I can find no other way to get to where one needs to be to do a Reset Install.

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:45 PM

This has worked on other computers besides Acer. It is for Windows 8 but maybe it will work for 10. Pressing the power button and then doing a hard shutoff a number of times causes Windows to go into the Automatic Repair Screen. From there you should be able to do a Reset.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

Restart the system and at the login screen there should be down in the right corner a power button. Select restart while holding the shift key. That should get you into recovery options. Similar to holding mashing F8 or shift+F8.

Edited by technonymous, 04 December 2015 - 10:05 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:24 AM

Thanks to you both.  I've directed my friend to keep looking at this thread and to try the suggestions.  I'll report back if/when we hit upon one that works.

This behavior with the start button is relatively recent.  He has a very weird combination of stuff that works perfectly normally and other stuff that doesn't work at all.  But if your Start menu doesn't work and you can't normally access a great deal of Windows functions something's got to be fixed *before* the inevitable collapse!

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:28 PM

This just in from the person I was assisting, after having followed my advice to have a look at this thread and then try the suggestions in whichever order he felt comfortable with/preferred:

It was the shift key reset that worked. I'm not sure if it was a combination of shift plus enter or shift alone. I chose the option of reset that preserved my files. The whole process took over an hour, and after several Windows initiated restarts, it booted up to a normal Windows 10 desktop. All of the removed programs were left in a file on the desktop. The main things I had to reinstall were antivirus, which I did Immediately, and Word. I have not reinstalled Word yet.  It also seems to have isolated most of the pre-installed Samsung garbage that I could care less about.

The archiving of the original Samsung bloatware is an added plus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users