Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel Skylake CPUs reportedly bending under pressure from third-party coolers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:32 PM

Bendgate is back. But this time it’s not Apple that’s under the gun for flexible iPhones, but Intel for Skylake CPUs bending under pressure.

It appears that select third-party CPU air cooling systems are putting too much pressure on Skylake processors and sockets resulting in damage, as first reported by German-language site PC Games Hardware.

The problem appears to happen while shipping or moving a PC, when sudden shocks and other movement can put pressure on the mount point and bend the CPU, causing damage to the socket pins in the motherboard.

Skylake processors are noticeably thinner than their Broadwell predecessors thanks to a notably thinner substrate. Games Hardware suspects the problem is caused by that extra thinness, combined with the fact that many cooler makers didn’t see the need to adapt their designs for the new chip and its new LGA1151 socket

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:23 PM

Bendgate is back. But this time it’s not Apple that’s under the gun for flexible iPhones, but Intel for Skylake CPUs bending under pressure.

It appears that select third-party CPU air cooling systems are putting too much pressure on Skylake processors and sockets resulting in damage, as first reported by German-language site PC Games Hardware.

The problem appears to happen while shipping or moving a PC, when sudden shocks and other movement can put pressure on the mount point and bend the CPU, causing damage to the socket pins in the motherboard.

Skylake processors are noticeably thinner than their Broadwell predecessors thanks to a notably thinner substrate. Games Hardware suspects the problem is caused by that extra thinness, combined with the fact that many cooler makers didn’t see the need to adapt their designs for the new chip and its new LGA1151 socket

Article

Another issue is long video cards warping and bending under their own weight pressure over time. I pulled a few out that was bent considerably. That's definitely enough pressure to crack solder joints etc. Not to mention the pressure on the pcie slot. One card was so bad both the client and myself desided to drill a small hole and anchor it to the case chassis. it was bent like this.... (    I am not kidding. I should of took a picture you wouldn't believe it. It looked like it was ready to break in half.

Edited by technonymous, 04 December 2015 - 10:27 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:34 PM

This is the first time I heard of a video card warping like this. I did some searching and some people actually had the card rip out the PCIe slot. I came across this solution on a search. Looks like a hydraulic jack.

http://www.techpowerup.com/125989/powercolor-announces-powerjack-graphics-card-support-accessory.html

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:40 PM

This is the first time I heard of a video card warping like this. I did some searching and some people actually had the card rip out the PCIe slot. I came across this solution on a search. Looks like a hydraulic jack.

http://www.techpowerup.com/125989/powercolor-announces-powerjack-graphics-card-support-accessory.html

Hmm interesting. Isn't it ridiculous you have to have a jack to support the video card? I just used a large gauge copper wire drilled a couple holes and anchored it. It didn't take much since the video card was just as wide as the motherboard and only a inch or two away from the HD moutning chassis. This video card was bent like a rocker.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:50 PM

Hmm interesting. Isn't it ridiculous you have to have a jack to support the video card? I just used a large gauge copper wire drilled a couple holes and anchored it. It didn't take much since the video card was just as wide as the motherboard and only a inch or two away from the HD moutning chassis. This video card was bent like a rocker.

Yeah, I think your cable solution is better. Even saw people use a wood dowel for support.  Check this PCIe slot

Damaged_Falcon_NW_610x406.jpg

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:55 PM

Yep, that's what I was mainly afraid of. The link you gave to the jack device is nifty idea, but I had to Jerry rig something fast cause this video card looked like it was going to snap it's own spine. :lol:

Edited by technonymous, 04 December 2015 - 10:55 PM.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

This didn't used to be a problem with the initial PCI slots, only the PCIe  generation.  So many board edge  contacts and a tiny margin for error in the slots.  I've repaired many connectors on otherwise lost causes and saved quite a few, but destroyed a few too.  MOBOs are expensive and the repairs are very tedious.  Extra supports are mounted with nylon standoffs that can even be hot glued in place.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:34 PM

Having a 2 lb heatsink and 3 fans on it doesn't help much. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users