Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer, W10....Can I Install W7?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:32 PM

I have a new laptop that came with Windows 10 installed.  After three weeks, I have tried to like this new version, but I don't.  I can't stand it and want to resort to Windows 7.  I want to buy a copy of Windows 7 and wonder if there is any issues with installing it on a new computer?  The reason I'm asking (not being a techie myself) if somehow the hardware is configured to work with Windows 10.  Yeah, I know this question might have some of you rolling on the floor, but somewhere years ago I heard something like that about W8. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

What is the make and model of the computer?

#3 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:12 AM

It is a Toshiba Satellite S55 C5274, 64-bit.

I found this page on the Toshiba site.

http://support.toshiba.com/support/driversResults?freeText=1200010656

Windows 7 is on the list and there are drivers in hat folder.

Which drivers do I need to get the computer working properly?

Thanks.

Edited by LittleGreenDots, 07 December 2015 - 08:15 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

I would start with the Chipset and Wifi driver. The support site lists both Broadcom and intel for chipsets so you will need to determine from Device Manager which you have.

I would also install the display driver. The support site lists both Nvidia and intel. You may have a dual chipset laptop. In that case install both intel and Nvida drivers listed.

#5 BeckoningChasm

BeckoningChasm

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

The Belarc advisor should be able to tell you what hardware components are installed.  It's a free download from Belarc.com.

#6 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the information.  I'm guessing the best way to proceed is to get these driers on a flash drive, and have a second computer connected to the internet on hand?  Do the drivers need to be installed in a specific order?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

Usually dell specifies and order. Chipset first, then your network adapters. Display is last. If you do not see any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager after installing the drivers I listed you need to go not further. If you see any yellow exclamation marks post back and we can link to the ones you need.

#8 docdavies

docdavies

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

Possibly buy another laptop hard drive and a copy of Windows 7 from somewhere and then install 7 onto the new hard drive and go from there. You can then put the Windows 10 one back in and still use it in future.

#9 Vision123

Vision123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

moving from windows 10 to 7 is a great idea just make sure you back up ur files and get all the drivers on an external drive .

well you don't need all the drivers if you manage to get the network adapter driver you'll just download all the other missing drivers

#10 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the information.  I'm wondering if Microsoft will "allow" me to use Win7 for long.

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

Microsoft provides extended support for Win7 until Jan 2020

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Edited by cmptrgy, 11 December 2015 - 02:17 PM.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:47 PM

Ugh Toshiba's are horrible, last time I had one I could not install windows 7 on it thanks to UEFI and not being able to shut off secure boot.

I would not expect it to work, heck no dual boot option probably due to again not being to turn off secure boot.

If you want windows 7 and let it run till its out of support, trade in your toshiba for a HP or Asus or something.

Toshiba and Lenovo are really crap OEM's these days, heck get a Dell or gateway or Acer and you will get a better machine

Edited by MadmanRB, 11 December 2015 - 07:50 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:20 AM

Microsoft provides extended support for Win7 until Jan 2020

True.  However....MS has initiated an aggressive campaign to 'urge' us to switch to 10.  I have my update settings set to review and let me decide whether to install install updates.  The other day while shutting down my system, I saw the icon that indicates installations before shut down.  I checked it out and the only update (which I had NOT chosen) was the one that adds that little Windows 10 upgrade icon to my tray.  It was listed as an critical update. 

#14 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:05 AM

I don't know why you didn't buy a new laptop with Win7 installed to begin with. Every online retailer had plenty of them less than 6 moths ago prior to Win10 becoming available so I'm sure they still have plenty pf them in stock now. That way you could have at least hedged your bet a little

Edited by ChuckPasadena, 19 December 2015 - 08:13 AM.

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

LittleGreenDots I am aware of how Microsoft is pushing actually more than pushing Windows 10.

But you did ask about going to Windows 7 and was given some excellent information and all I did was report the Win7 EOL cycle.

So the choice is yours; Do you want to stay with Win10 even though you do not like it or are you willing to go to Win7 per your request?

Backups have been mentioned.

If you decide to follow through create a Win10 system image & data backup of Windows before going to Win7

Once Win7 is installed and running well, create a Win7 system image and data backup

Myself I like to use Macrium Reflect

I would like to note that I maintain 2 Win7 computers of mine (a desktop & a laptop)

--- Each one has been set up to block Win10 since Sep.

--- Neither one has promoted or returned anything Win10 yet.

--- I was planning on upgrading my desktop computer to Win10 but after reading how Win10 has installed itself automatically on some computers or is returning itself to be installed on some others even though the users had blocked such from happening that's become a challenge from me. It's going on 4 months and I have seen nada anything Win10 yet as mentioned.

--- I read an article recently that indicated Microsoft will become more aggressive so now it's even more challenging for me to see how much longer my system lasts without interference from Win10 upgrades on their own. Whatever it is, it is.

--- With all of that said though I will be upgrading my desktop to Win10 eventually in time well before July 29 2016.

EDIT: Continuing Windows 10 install challenges.

--- I wonder whether or not I'll get by this one when they'll push it again

Microsoft is giving Windows 7 and 8 users little choice but to upgrade to Windows 10 12/15/15

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-is-forcing-windows-10-upgrades-2015-12

Edited by cmptrgy, 19 December 2015 - 04:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users