Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 is possibly the worst spyware ever made !!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:06 PM

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2956574/microsoft-subnet/windows-10-privacy-spyware-settings-user-agreement.html

I had a good read of the nearby 'Grinches' thread and the linked article. And it got me thinking -

" fair 'nuff, that's another point of view. For balance, let's Goggle Is Windows 10 Spyware and see what comes up"

So I did. And fully more than 50% of the first several pages of responses were in the affirmative, with the rest being neutral to negative (to W10 being spyware).

So I guess there's a lot of, emm, grinches out there. From absolute computer dummies, like me, to very savvy tech types, to respectable bussiness web sites, serious IT journalists, etc, etc.

I won't paste all the interesting links here - one can do the same search for themselves. But I found the one above quite to the point.

Also, I saw some irony in the following ...

http://www.techworm.net/2014/10/microsofts-windows-10-permission-watch-every-move.html

.. concering people agreeing to EULAS. Make sure you read the part where folk agreed to SIGN OVER THEIR FIRST BORN CHILD. Now THAT, is very instructive.

Also this ...

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/opinion/2406480/theres-an-orwellian-undertone-to-microsofts-build-keynote

Orwellian undertone. Yep !!!

I guess you have choices. Be a grinch, a doubter, a heretic .. or just go with flow.

After all, the W10 fan boys seem to me, to display a commitment not dissimilar to the religiousity demanded by The Church circa 1600's ..

Great is the Overlord, and mysterious are His ways .. believe, oh yea men of little faith ..

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:14 PM

Yeah, not an inflammatory topic title or anything.

So I'll put this out here right now.

Keep it civil and no personal attacks, or this one goes up in flames sooner rather than later. Got it?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

OK.

Did you read the part where people agreed to sign over their first born child ? I thought that was funny, though quite perspicacious.

And to think, that MSFT's EULA is much bigger.

That kinda confirms mine and others assertions, that the VAST majority of people, possibly 99%, do not read EULA's

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:42 AM

Posting links to articles from October 2014, when what was under discussion was the agreements to use the insider previews, isn't convincing.

There are substantial differences between then and the EULA for the production version of Windows 10.  But, carry on . . .

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:16 AM

Ah, thanks.

I assume then, you are happy with the temporal relevence of the first article - which was the main subject / title of this thread, and published late 2015.

About the October 2014 one, well, think it through. Read it in detail, and tell me it ain't so. The main point there, which I went to some length to emphasise, even in my post 3, above (QED) was that the vast majority of people agreeing to EULAS don't read them, and in that experimental case, signed their first born away. Is it better now, you think ?

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:18 AM

Yeah, not an inflammatory topic title or anything.

So I'll put this out here right now.

Keep it civil and no personal attacks, or this one goes up in flames sooner rather than later. Got it?

:)

You're my hero!

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

Light the Torch. Yes I understand Windows 10 may spy on you but the OS itself is not spyware. I am sure that if it was truely spyware hearsay It would have never existed as far as it has come to this point today.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#8 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:33 PM

Light the Torch. Yes I understand Windows 10 may spy on you but the OS itself is not spyware. I am sure that if it was truely spyware hearsay It would have never existed as far as it has come to this point today.

Boiling frog syndrome!

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

That kinda confirms mine and others assertions, that the VAST majority of people, possibly 99%, do not read EULA's

If that's the case, legally speaking, these people are the only ones to blame. If you accept the EULA of a software, use it, but then realize you aren't okay with the EULA, in the legal world, you shouldn't be using it anymore otherwise you would be going against the terms you agreed to before. This is why there's a checkbox that says "I do not agree to the conditions" and then prevents you from continuing with the installation, because if you aren't okay with the EULA, then you shouldn't be using the program.

Also, Windows 10 doesn't fit in the "spyware" category of malware in my opinion, since if you agreed to install it and use it, you should be fully aware of what it does (and it's being disclosed in the EULA and also in Windows).

On a side note about the F-Secure experiment, another company (gaming one I think) did the same kind of experiment, but the EULA included that the user would give their soul when they die. After a while (and 5,000 users agreeing to give that said company their soul), the company came forward with the experiment and nullified the agreement, so everyone kept their soul in the end :)

Found the article!

http://www.geek.com/games/gamestation-eula-collects-7500-souls-from-unsuspecting-customers-1194091/

Edited by Aura, 17 December 2015 - 08:07 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,801 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:29 PM

If that's the case, legally speaking, these people are the only ones to blame.

And 'twas ever thus. Even in the broader law there's the well-worn principle that, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

I don't know why some people will defend, almost to the death, the right of other people to behave like fools. If you don't read a license, but agree to it, that's no different than signing a contract placed in front of you without reading it. You, and only you, are the (ir)responsible party.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:49 PM

Indeed, they are fools - and in the final analysis, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Indeed, W10 is being taken up by swathes of ignorant sheepish fools, who, were they less foolish and more aware, may well have acted otherwise.

Foolishly giving over their souls or their first born, however, were spoofs - experiments to reveal the foolishness, ignorance and apathy involved in signing EULAs

Alas, MSFT's EULA is no spoof.

#12 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:55 PM

If that's the case, legally speaking, these people are the only ones to blame. If you accept the EULA of a software, use it, but then realize you aren't okay with the EULA, in the legal world, you shouldn't be using it anymore otherwise you would be going against the terms you agreed to before. This is why there's a checkbox that says "I do not agree to the conditions" and then prevents you from continuing with the installation, because if you aren't okay with the EULA, then you shouldn't be using the program.

Also, Windows 10 doesn't fit in the "spyware" category of malware in my opinion, since if you agreed to install it and use it, you should be fully aware of what it does (and it's being disclosed in the EULA and also in Windows).

On a side note about the F-Secure experiment, another company (gaming one I think) did the same kind of experiment, but the EULA included that the user would give their soul when they die. After a while (and 5,000 users agreeing to give that said company their soul), the company came forward with the experiment and nullified the agreement, so everyone kept their soul in the end :)

Found the article!

http://www.geek.com/games/gamestation-eula-collects-7500-souls-from-unsuspecting-customers-1194091/

The title of this thread was the exact title of the main article, linked, from Networkworld - see OP.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:06 PM

Are you calling everyone who uses Windows 10 a fool? Personally I find myself quite skilled when it comes to computing and I use Windows 10. I don't consider myself a fool for that, nor shall you call me one. This is your opinion that can be seen as a personal attack to be honest, because from my understanding, you are calling me a fool. Unless I misunderstand something here?

And I read the title, what about it? I'm just giving my thoughts on Windows 10 being called a spyware. This is what this thread is about, no?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#14 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:00 PM

Yes, you definitely misunderstand something here.

Read my post again a couple of times, and read in which context 'fools' was used, and applicable to whom. The post prior to it, where another contributor first mentioned it, may give you more context.

#15 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:14 PM

And here I was thinking this dead horse had been well a truly beaten, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users