Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Intrusion?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jvmsl4

jvmsl4

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

I have an HP laptop using win 10 home, win defender, win firewall, and malwarebytes anti malware which is monitoring my laptop while in use. While using my laptop the other day, I received and unsolicited popup, small, from the right of the screen stating a female name was inviting me to link to her on SKYPE. I wasn't on a web pate at the time. This has never happened before.  I checked the Settings< Privacy > Apps section and of the four options listed, the only one enabled is 'turn on smart screen filter to check web content'. The other three I turned off when I bought the laptop. I also checked the Background apps section and SKYPE is not listed (although when I got the pop-up I searched for SKYPE and then deleted it from the search results window). I haven't gotten that message since last Wednesday but why did I get it at all since I never installed or enabled SKYPE prior to this incident and how did I get the intrusion? I guess what I am asking is, is Malware anti malware bytes in combination with win defender and win firewall sufficient to prevent that kind of intrusion because the intrusion happened after I updated defender, firewall, and malwarebytes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Batzz

Batzz

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:16 PM

Hi its batzzz. Seems everyone is leaving your topic alone, don't worry im here to help. Did the pop-up appear in the bottom right corner, if so this was infact a legitimate request by Skype, if it appeared anywhere else I would suspect it is most likely malicious. I have had weird behavior with Skype before, it has opened adult websites on me, while I wasn't even using it, so it could just be a issue with Skype again.

#3 Batzz

Batzz

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:18 PM

I would also recommend downloading a free antivirus program such as Avast, or Avira as windows defender tends to be fairly ineffective and malwarebytes should have blocked it if premium mode was enabled otherwise it wouldn't protect against this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users