Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loss of mouse control following Windows 7 reload.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BING59

BING59

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:54 PM

Hello all.
My name is Bing & I'm new to this forum & this is my 1st post, so please be gentle with me!
I have recently change back to win 7 fron 10 because I didn't like it.
However, I noticed that once I reverted back I was suffering problems. The 1st thing I noticed was the wireless mouse that I had been using for months no longer operated. I swapped back to the original wired 1 which works but not as it should. It now sticks a lot & sometimes I have to reboot my PC because it as locked up completely. I did try pulling the wireless Mouse USB to see if it would reload but nothing. I am only a computer user & have no relevant skills so any help would be greatly appreciated. I really hope someone can help me & point me in the right direction! Many thanks in advance.
Bing.

Edited by hamluis, 04 December 2015 - 03:07 PM.
Moved from Introductions to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,879 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:26 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

As a new member be sure to read the Welcome to Bleeping Computer! Guide and the following...

For Linux users.

Best Regards.
NickAu

#3 BING59

BING59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:57 PM

Hi all.

I started a post on here a few days ago but cannot now find it!  It was my 1st post & obviously I made an error.

Mod Edit:  Merged first topic into today's post - Hamluis.

Basically I installed  Windows 10 & found that I wasn't too keen on it.  I decided to go back to my original Win 7 within the 30 day period but didn't know how to do it.  I contacted my service provider Virgin, who put me in touch with some tech guy who charged me £35 & took control of my PC & changed it back.  However, since he has done this I immediately noticed that my wireless mouse didn't work.  I plugged an old wired mouse in & this does work but not as well as it should do.  It regularly freezes & needs a reboot to get going again.  Also it  doesn't move smoothly accross the monitor & often I find it esier to slightly lift the mouse ball with my finger to manouvre the cursor. 

I do hope I have explained myself clearly & one of you kind tekkie folk can help me!

Thankyou in advance for any adice offered.

BING.

Edited by hamluis, 04 December 2015 - 03:09 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

#4 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

Start by unplugging and plugging the receiver for the wireless mouse in.  Could just be that there are residual Windows 10 drivers that your PC is reverting back to.  

EDIT:  Does this - "I did try pulling the wireless Mouse USB" - mean you've already tried that?  That was unclear to me.  

#5 BING59

BING59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:43 PM

Hi dudeage.

yes, I tried unplugging the USB part ofr the Mouse & putting it back but nothing happened.  I even tried replacing the battery.

Thanks.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

I use a wireless mouse and keyboard and when I installed them much to my surprise they just worked !  However . . .

The best thing to do is to uninstall all your generic USB drivers, then shut down the computer and do a cold re-boot. This is somewhat simpler and less threatening than it sounds !

Click in turn 'Start - Control panel - System - Device manager (in the top left corner of the System screen)'. At the bottom of the small screen that will appear you will see an entry 'Universal Serial Bus controllers', expand this by clicking on the '+' sign at the side of this entry and you will see a list of USB controllers some of which will merely be called 'USB root hub'. Select each of these in turn, select 'Drivers' from the gray box that appears, and select 'Uninstall' and follow the prompts. This will uninstall the generic drivers.

Now shut down the system. Since you just uninstalled the mouse driver(s) you will have to use the keyboard - press the 'Windows' key, this will bring up the start panel, and use the tab key to move around the start panel  until the shut down button is highlighted, then press 'Enter' and the computer will shut down. Next turn off the power supply - and remove the battery if it is a laptop - and hold the start button down for a few seconds. Then reconnect the power (and battery) and start up as normal. The USB drivers will automatically be re-installed as Windows starts. This should fix the problem. If it doesn't, post back.

If the computer is a laptop with a battery that is not easy or impossible to remove don't worry about removing it - just shut down and restart.

And remember for any future posts you make that information on your computer - make and model at a minimum - is very useful !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:16 PM

The suggestion from the above post is good - also I would recommend booting to your BIOS and checking the BIOS settings - make sure all the ports are enabled.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users