Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ZDNet: Don't let the 'Grinches' put you off Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself, and didn't.

For your consideration:  Don't let the 'Grinches' put you off Windows 10

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:21 PM

:thumbup2: Good find!  That is a pretty good article!

utl8q0-5.png

#3 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:12 PM

Sorry to disagree with you, Brian, but you (along with Aura, Drew and I) HAVE been saying exactly this for months, now. ~g~ Not that one more article will change anyone's mind, but it's nice to have occasional validation amidst the sturm und drang.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:02 PM

To quote Adrian Kingsley-Hughes

While naysayers continue to come up with reason after bogus reason for Windows users to avoid Windows 10, based on my experience over the four months since its release, it's now Microsoft's best operating system to date.

Best operating system to date?

Is this guy for real? Win 10 has only been out a few months and I can't see the justification of saying its better than Win 8 let alone Win7, and IMO XP  or Win 7 get the title of best operating system MS has made.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,986 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:07 PM

Be sure to read the comments at the end of the article from people who have installed it. I still think 10 is a work in progess. Redstone may sort things out further.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:34 PM

Be sure to read the comments at the end of the article from people who have installed it. I still think 10 is a work in progess. Redstone may sort things out further.

I don't think that anyone would argue your point; it is still a work in progress.   But having been working with Win10 since its preview period I don't think that his assessment regarding stability is incorrect.  Most people who have installed Win10 up to this point did so when pretty much everyone knew that it was "bleeding edge" and, if they didn't know what they were getting into, they should have.  There's never been a Windows debut not followed by at least several months of precisely the sorts of issues we're seeing with Win10.

I like Windows 7 and Windows 10 about equally.  Windows 8 really is, in my opinion, a trainwreck (and that includes 8.1).  I do get the concept of wanting a consistent look and feel across platforms, though, and there was no way to achieve that with Windows 7.  The Win7 interface was born before anyone gave any thought at all to tablets (since they didn't exist - at least in the consumer market) and most big software companies didn't give smartphones a second look.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:59 PM

Windows 8 really is, in my opinion, a trainwreck (and that includes 8.1)

Respectfully disagree,

I didn't mind Windows 8 I love the Metro desktop, But then again I liked Vista also ( Vista's biggest problem is that they tried to run it on machines that were not powerful enough, Eg 1 GiB ram laptops ).

OMG I need help I am standing up for windows, If the guys in the Linux section find out they will tar and feather me.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:56 PM

NickAU,

Chacun à son goût.

I very strongly dislike the Metro screen and Charms bar.  It's not that Win8/8.1 doesn't work, I just find the user interface completely not to my liking.

I like Win10 because it kept what was good about Win8 and brought back what I missed most from Win7, while adding some features that neither had and that I like very much (e.g., the ability to search settings to find what you're looking for - no OS with myriad settings is "intuitive" and finding the obscure can be maddening).

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:56 PM

It's OK, Nick. IMO, when it comes to OSs, the more the merrier. We won't tell the Linux folks you've been slumming. ~g~

I agree about Vista. Lack of RAM and lack of drivers will sink any OS. By the time I got it, just a few months before Win 7 came out, it was fine, and I had enough RAM. Then I did my first free upgrade, to Win 7, which upgrade, btw, was not painless.

When it comes to OSs, I think it's just a matter of taste, and tolerance for new ways of doing things.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:24 PM

When it comes to OSs, I think it's just a matter of taste, and tolerance for new ways of doing things.

You are right, I have been using Ubuntu long enough to actually find it strange when I have to click the start button in the bottom left hand corner on any operating system, Windows included, To me the normal thing is to click a button in the top right hand corner to launch dash or type a command in terminal.

This command opens my browser when typed into terminal

firefox

and on my PC terminal is started when my PC boots up.

Back on topic.

I actually find Win 10 to be OK and I do like the desktop, But what I hate with a passion, Is the way it updates, There is nothing worse than doing updates waiting for your PC to install them rebooting only to find some updates failed because XXXXX was not installed first, Then there is the fact that I need to update individual software like browsers and other software, Why do I need 3rd party software like Secunia to keep track of what needs updating?

In Linux I do.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Sometimes I do.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I wont get into the difference in the 2 commands here, Linux users will understand.

And that updates my PC and all my installed software.

If Ms allowed me more freedom in the way I set up and run Windows and the way updates are run I would consider going back.

Arch Linux .

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:37 PM

Nick, articles like this come out in ZDnet to bully everyone.  There was not a shred of evidence Kingsley-Hughes provided.  As usual.  The real objections client business lawyers and others are making off-article about Win10 privacy violation, he ignores.  Instead, he just keeps stating his opinion, with no facts.  It means MSFT is desperate to cover up the truth.  This time, notice in the comments, most of the commenters recognize the article is chutzpah.

Which means, this will end up being litigated.  Either some political entity in Europe will do it, or someone in the States.  Just a question of time.  Pity, when MSFT could fix the problem quickly.  But won't.

Edited by brainout, 04 December 2015 - 07:38 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#12 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

While I don't like having to update a bunch of third party apps, either, one has to admit that MS isn't responsible for maintaining them. It's not as if we got them from a Repository, where they are maintained and updated by the distro, as happens with Linux.

#13 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:05 AM

It doesn't matter what OS you use, there will always be something to be unhappy about.

Microsoft is NOT spying on Windows 10 users. Period.
-REF:http://www.zdnet.com/article/dont-let-the-grinches-put-you-off-windows-10/

I could not find a single shred of evidence to suggest that there's any spying going on. And as far as I'm aware of, no one else has any evidence either.

Windows 10 collects and sends a lot of data to Microsoft, ranging from recordings of your voice when you talk to Cortana, to crash data when the wheels fall off your PC, but this data collection happens in order to make things work or to help things work better in the future, not because you're being spied on.

spy·ing [...] to watch secretly usually for hostile purposes
-REF:http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spy

The author has missed the point. I'd say whether the word spying is the appropriate word is debatable. Microsoft isn't hiding the fact they're collecting information, but they could be more up front and detailed about it. Regardless of whether spying is the right word, that's not what people are angry about. They're angry that Microsoft is taking personal information without asking, and worst of all, not giving the user the freedom to say no. I shouldn't have to firewall OS components; if there is one piece of software on my system that I should be able to trust, it's the OS, and I cannot say that about Windows 10. The fact that Microsoft is using this data for good purposes like improving their product is an irrelevant justification.

The Grinches say "Windows 10 is unstable!"

While I have had some issues running Windows 10 (mostly with third party software being slow to open), I would describe Windows 10 as quite stable. The installer isn't, that thing crashed my system multiple times, which is why it took so long for me to switch.

While it is possible that a misconfigured update can bring a system to its knees, I've seen far more systems trashed by users who didn't update their operating system and then got hit by malware.

Forced upgrades are dangerous. I've never had any computer running any edition of Windows taken down by malware, I have had them taken down by bad updates. Besides, there is more to it than that. Many people have bandwidth limits. Sure you can set your connection to metered, and this will stop updates from auto downloading, but this can also make third-party apps behave differently, which may not be desired. Auto-updates can also be inconvenient if you have slow internet, because you might need to use the net, but can't because updates are downloading. Most importantly, the choice of updating was previously the user's, but with Windows 10 that freedom has been taken away, and anytime you take away a freedom, people will be upset, not joyed, duh.

I've not noticed anything that scared me. In fact, most systems felt snappier.

I would say overall Windows 10 is about equal to Windows 8, in terms of speed. There are a few parts that seem slower (eg: the start screen, and Explorer.), but nothing major, at least not that I've experienced.

@NickAu

If the guys in the Linux section find out they will tar and feather me.
-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/598410/zdnet-dont-let-the-grinches-put-you-off-windows-10/#entry3878828

2D3DX6W.png

example1@example:~$ su root -c "apt-get install imagemagick tar"
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
tar is already the newest version.
imagemagick is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 195 not upgraded.
example1@example:~$ cd ~/Downloads && wget "http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/uploads/profile/photo-thumb-869124.png" && cd ~/
--2015-12-04 21:51:56--  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/uploads/profile/photo-thumb-869124.png
Resolving www.bleepingcomputer.com (www.bleepingcomputer.com)... 104.20.91.192, 104.20.92.192
Connecting to www.bleepingcomputer.com (www.bleepingcomputer.com)|104.20.91.192|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 12200 (12K) [image/png]
Saving to: ‘photo-thumb-869124.png’

photo-thumb-869124. 100%[=====================>]  11.91K  --.-KB/s   in 0.05s  

2015-12-04 21:51:56 (259 KB/s) - ‘photo-thumb-869124.png’ saved [12200/12200]

example1@example:~$ cd ~/Downloads && wget "http://www.henningludvigsen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/feathers-and-plumage-main.jpg" && cd ~/
--2015-12-04 21:52:07--  http://www.henningludvigsen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/feathers-and-plumage-main.jpg
Resolving www.henningludvigsen.com (www.henningludvigsen.com)... 217.26.52.51
Connecting to www.henningludvigsen.com (www.henningludvigsen.com)|217.26.52.51|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 94308 (92K) [image/jpeg]
Saving to: ‘feathers-and-plumage-main.jpg’

feathers-and-plumag 100%[=====================>]  92.10K   139KB/s   in 0.7s   

2015-12-04 21:52:09 (139 KB/s) - ‘feathers-and-plumage-main.jpg’ saved [94308/94308]

example1@example:~$ cd ~/Downloads && convert "feathers-and-plumage-main.jpg" -geometry 100x100! "feathers-and-plumage-main.png" && cd ~/
example1@example:~$ cd ~/Downloads && composite -blend 60 "photo-thumb-869124.png" "feathers-and-plumage-main.png" "NickAu_feathered.png" && cd ~/
example1@example:~$ cd ~/Downloads && tar -cf NickAu_feathered.tar NickAu_feathered.png && cd ~/
example1@example:~$

#14 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:35 AM

Gotta be careful what articles and words we reflect, as ultimately we are responsible for them.

What's a 'Grinch' ???

Admittedly, I've never heard of the word. So I checked my Linux onboard dictionary, Artha - not known.

That's strange. I checked my W7 lappie onboard dictionary, Wordweb, and again, no listing.

What ???

Must be some new kinda urban trendy lingo .. or something, so I went to my urbandictionary.com link, and entered Grinch.

I'm speechless, at the top and only definition.

Must be an American thing ? I've never heard it here in Aus.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#15 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:14 AM

@jargos

What's a 'Grinch' ???

It's like calling someone a scrooge, grump, or in this case, a hater. It comes from the childrens story "How The Gring Stole Christmas!", which has been adapted into a couple movies. The Grinch hated Christmas for no good reason, just as this author is suggesting many people hate Windows 10 for no good reason.

EDIT: Lolz, the urbandictionary top definition made me laugh. I can see why you didn't link it.

Edited by hollowface, 05 December 2015 - 02:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users