Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access external drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 w31216kbl

w31216kbl

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:50 AM

I have an external drive that now all of a sudden can't be accessed.  Windows shows it's icon as a simple blank page.  It's still has it's drive name and letter.  When I try to open it, I get "Location is not available.  E;\ is not accessible.  Access is denied."  I can't even do the error checking tool from the properties window, getting an unable to access error.

Now here's the weird part.

Since file recovery came up in some Google searches, I tried downloading Recuva.  And I'm actually able to browse through the drive in question to select a location to scan...

Is it possible to get to my files again?

The USB drive is a 500GB Seagate FreeAgent Go Flex.

I have Windows 10.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:50 AM

Is the drive listed as RAW in Disk Managment? Have you tried scanning one of the locations to retrieve and files? Do not save your files back to the FreeAgent external or they will be lost.

#3 w31216kbl

w31216kbl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:20 PM

Disk Management says it's NTFS.  Layout=Simple.  Type=Basic.  Status=Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)

Scanning with Recuva returned with finding a lot of files, but ignored them all.

I've also tried renaming the drive letter and changing owner in the security, no change.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

Linux may be able to mount the drive and let you copy your files. Download Tharpup heretahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso You can burn the iso to disk on a Windows 10 by right clicking the iso and selecting Burn Disk Image.

If you are running Windows 10 on a OEM computer like Dell or HP you will need to disable SecureBoot and possibly Quickboot or Fastboot in UEFI. You may also need to enable Legacy Boot or it is sometimes called CSM boot. On Dell you can tap F12 at boot to bring up a boot menu for selecting your boot device. On Hp it is F9.

Once on the Puppy Desktop you will notice your hard drive partitions in the lower left labeled sda1...sda2...sda3.. and so on depending on how many partitions are on your internal drive. Attach the USB external drive and a USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and Puppy should automatically mount the disk and open a File Manager.If Puppy cannot mount the disk and open a File Manager proceed no further and post back.

Click once on your WIndow sdaX partition. I am not sure which one this will be as Windows 10 creates additional partitions. It may be sda3. The partition will mount and a File Manager will open showing the partition's files. If you do not recognize your Windows files and folders then close the File manager and try another sdaX partition until you find the correct one.

You can highlight the files in the USB external's File Manager by Ctrl+left clicking files/folders or by windowing around them while holding down your left click button. Drag your highlighted files from the USB File Manager window to your Internal sdaX window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the Quiet box. You will need at least the amount of free space on your internal drive as what you are trying to recover. Once you have copied over the files, exit Puppy and reboot. See if you can open your copied files. You may want to only copy a few first to see if they are corrupted or not.

#5 w31216kbl

w31216kbl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:52 PM

I'm not familiar with Linux so please bear with me.

It sounds like Tharpup is one of the distributions/versions of Linux.  I need to burn the above iso to a CD/DVD and boot off of that.  Tharpup will run completely off of that disc and when I'm done I just eject and reboot.  No installation, dual-boot, etc.  Is that correct?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

That is correct. Puppy runs in RAM and off the disk. When you exit Puppy it will ask if you want to save to disk. Select No.

Edit: It is also possible to boot from a USB flash drive if you do not have a CD disk. If wish to use a USB flash drive I will give instructions.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 December 2015 - 08:03 PM.

#7 w31216kbl

w31216kbl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:22 PM

Awesome!

Actually, running off of a flash drive would be great.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:52 AM

You can use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Make sure your flash drive is detected. Use a MBR partition scheme. Keep the Quick Format box checked. User default Fat32 for the format. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image. Click on the folder icon and browse to the iso file of Puppy. Press Start. Backup any data you have on the flash drive first. 

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro-tip-use-rufus-to-create-a-bootable-usb-drive-to-install-almost-any-os/

#9 w31216kbl

w31216kbl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:49 PM

Looks like it worked!

I was able to mount my problem HDD with Tahrpup and I'm currently copying my files over.

I came to the right place.  Thanks!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:58 AM

Your Welcome. Glad that worked. I would try opening some of those files to see if they are good or not. 

Edit: I missed something in your post #3. Unless you are booting from the drive, the partition on your external drive should not be marked as Active. You can change it using the Diskpart command.

At an elevated command prompt. Press the Windows key + X > Cmd (as admin) type the following.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X   where X is the number associated with your external drive. Make sure you have the correct number of the external drive.

list partition

select partition X  where X is the partition number listed. You should only have one on the external drive.

inactive

exit

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 December 2015 - 10:27 AM.

#11 w31216kbl

w31216kbl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:50 AM

The diskpart didn't work.  I was able to change the partition settings as instructed, but the disk was still inactive.  But that's OK.  I was able to copy all of my files to another external.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users