Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scan before downloading any file??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MarikaT

MarikaT

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:48 AM

Im afraid that the file/rar that i want to download contain virus, so...
I want to know is Avast antivirus able to scan the file/rar before i download it??
Or is there any other way to scan it before i download it??
Pls help thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:21 AM

You can have VirusTotal - Free Online Virus and Malware Scan scan the file before downloading it to your computer using multiple security programs.

But since you are already suspicious...you should ask yourself a couple of questions....will my life change if I DON'T download the file?....Am I feeling lucky?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:36 AM

Make Sure Downloads Are Safe Before Downloading Them
How to Make an Online Antivirus Check of a File or App (with Browser Extensions) Before Downloading it
Scan Files For Virus Before Downloading Using VirusTotal Browser Extension
Scan Files for Viruses Before Using Them
Comprehensive List of Online File/URL analyzers & services
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 MarikaT

MarikaT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:01 AM

You can have VirusTotal - Free Online Virus and Malware Scan scan the file before downloading it to your computer using multiple security programs.

But since you are already suspicious...you should ask yourself a couple of questions....will my life change if I DON'T download the file?....Am I feeling lucky?

Is virustotal 100% trustable??
100% Accurate??

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:14 AM

VirusTotal checks the file against the database of existing malware that companies have and their heuristic engines, so it may not catch zero-day malware. But it is trustworthy.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:14 AM

Many adware and malware programs are invented and restructured every day to avoid being detected. It is known that some have avoided

detection for years. So, with that in mind....there is no such thing as a 100% guarantee that any one or multiple security programs will be able to 

identify adware and malware.

Edited by buddy215, 04 December 2015 - 09:16 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

About VirusTotal <- uses 52 scanning engines
VirusTotal FAQs
About Jotti Virusscan <- uses 23 scanning engines
Jotti: FAQs
About VirSCAN
About Hybrid-Analysis
About herdProtect <- uses 68 anti-malware engines
About ThreatExpert: System Overview
About Malwr Analysis Service

#8 MarikaT

MarikaT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:40 AM

Virustotal only can scan file not larger than 128mb...
What if the file i wanna download is 500mb-1gb??
Its a game

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:00 AM

First you should consider where you are downloading from and if you are downloading a game for free that you would otherwise have to pay for.

If the answer is you are downloading from a third party site...you should be downloading from the developer site. Next if it is a pirated game....stolen...

then you should not download it.

Many games...especially free ones...will contain adware. That's the reason for even offering them for free.

You can scan the file after downloading using security programs that you have installed on your computer. MBAM would be a good choice

as well as Avast.

#10 MarikaT

MarikaT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:09 AM

Ok i will not download the game then thx

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

Virustotal only can scan file not larger than 128mb...
What if the file i wanna download is 500mb-1gb??
Its a game

Most online malware scanners have a maximum file size limit. If the file requiring analysis is too large, you can use MetaScan which allows up to 140 MB or download and use...How large is a piece of Malware?

...In January 2005 the average size of a malware sample was 126 kB. In June 2010 it is 338 kB.

Understanding How File Size Affects Malware Detection

Malware can come in almost any size file. To make their code easily propagated through the Internet, malware creators usually keep the files small. Malware is typically found within files that are less than one megabyte (MB) in size. According to Fortinet research, 97% of malware discovered in the past five years is below one MB in size. The small size of the malware file allows malicious content to be transferred over applications such as email, peer to peer download, IM and chat easily and executed quickly...The file sizes for spyware payloads also remain small, with 95% of spyware installers totalling less than one MB in size.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

Ok i will not download the game then thx

If your anti-virus and your anti-malware programs are up to date, you can scan your download folder's contents, including that game.  If your "sixth sense" kicks in, temporarily set your scanners to scan entire zip or installEXE in your download folder.  And, installs [zips or EXEs] downloaded does not mean opened or installed, if any doubts, delete said download[s].

Edited by RolandJS, 04 December 2015 - 12:02 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users