Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 530 desktop PC won't turn on at all

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 slcomputer

slcomputer

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:16 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop PC that's 7.5 years old.  It was working fine until today, when it wouldn't turn on at all.  I kept pressing the power button and nothing happened at all - the computer just wouldn't turn on.

I tried a different power cord and that didn't work.  I opened up the computer and I could see an orange light on the motherboard was lit, and a green light on the back of the power supply was lit too, so the computer is getting power.

I took off the front of the case and tried pressing on the power switch directly, and that didn't work.  I tried pressing on where the power switch wire connects to the motherboard to make sure it was connected and that didn't help.

Any idea on what's wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:48 AM

If the motherboard and power supply work, then it could be the problems with RAM, processor, or the BIOS is corrupted.

First try to reset the BIOS. Find the motherboard jumper, and follow the instruction here: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS. If you cannot find the jumper, then locate the CMOS battery and removing it, instruction on the same Wikihow website. Construct the motherboard manual if you need help in finding the battery. Check if your computer start.

If it won't start, try to remove the RAM and insert it into different DIMM slot. If the PC start, then one of the DIMM slot is faulty. Run memtest86 afterward to check the RAM health status: http://www.pchelpforum.com/tutorials-and-guides/118976-memtest86-use-test-ram.html

If the PC still fail to start, then the BIOS, RAM or processor is damaged.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 slcomputer

slcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:50 AM

Turns out the power supply was bad.  I put in a new one and the computer is working again.

#4 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:46 AM

Turns out the power supply was bad.  I put in a new one and the computer is working again.

Then it could be the problem that the computer is getting power, but not enough for it to run, so you see light on PSU and mobo.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users