Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows not booting after failed hardware upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jefijustneedpchelp

jefijustneedpchelp

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:12 AM

The title makes this seem worse than it actually is. As of late, I've had issues with my CPU and mobo, so I got new ones from a friend, but there were vital pieces missing. I rebuilt my PC with all of its original parts as best as I could, and now Windows 10 is stuck at the logo with no circle. I followed my motherboard's manual for all the plug ins and whatnot, and everything seems to be in order, however the actions of my PC don't seem to demonstrate that. I'm not entirely sure what info is needed, so if you need to know anything, I'd be more than happy to provide it. (I'm an imbicile when it comes to these types of things, and should have had someone who knows what they're doing assist me.) Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jefijustneedpchelp

jefijustneedpchelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:16 AM

After test booting it a couple times, it loaded and worked. Although the problem is solved, does anybody have any idea what happened and what I can do to prevent this from hapoening again? Sorry for the double reply; it gave me different results each time I test booted it. Computers are enigmas of human creation.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:41 AM

A Windows installation is keyed to its own hardware. Even if your mainboard was not new enough to have a BIOS embedded key, the actual system setup was for the old board, and if it tried unsuccessfully to adapt itself to the substitute board, you're probably lucky it got going on the old board again without having to re-install or repair Windows.

Edited by Platypus, 04 December 2015 - 12:42 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 jefijustneedpchelp

jefijustneedpchelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:51 AM

I see. It asked me about a new CPU as well, but as it wasn't actually a new CPU, I just told it to run with the old settings. Now I'm scared about shutting it down again. Will anything happen, or am I in the clear after having gotten past the almost breaking Windows bit?

Edit: It only asked me about the CPU settings on the inital boot, not every test boot.

Edited by jefijustneedpchelp, 04 December 2015 - 12:51 AM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:28 AM

Once it has begun to work OK, it will probably hold. Only one way to know... :)

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 jefijustneedpchelp

jefijustneedpchelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

So, after playing some Fallout 4, my PC crashed and went into a boot loop. Now it's stuck at "Loading Asus Express Gate..." What should i do? ;_;

#7 jefijustneedpchelp

jefijustneedpchelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:05 AM

Now it seems to be stuck at the Windows 10 logo with no spinning circle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users