Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer states not connected (but it is), recent BSODs

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jimenej

jimenej

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:56 PM

Hi all. I've been dealing with a few issues on my Windows 7 desktop PC over the past couple months or so, possibly unrelated, though they all seem a bit suspicious and I figured it's time to take care of things in case they get ugly and are in fact related to some type of malware. I have not been having any performance issues with the PC but I know these events aren't normal. Quick scans with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes turned up nothing at all. Haven't run a full scan with MSE in a while, but I can. Also I know there's the "one problem, one post" rule here, which I'm happy to abide by if these turn out to be not related to each other at all.

The most recent issue ongoing for the past few days is that the internet connectivity icon on the bottom right of the computer shows a red "X" over the wi-fi bars and states "Not connected, connections are available" at the top of the box when I click on it. Aside from that, it does say "connected" next to my specific wireless network and the internet has been working perfectly fine. I updated the drivers to my network adapter, and tried reinstalling them as well with no help. I've tried using the native troubleshoot functionality, no changes, and I've tried enabling/disabling the wireless adapters. I don't remember making any recent software installations on my PC other than a few purchased games. I have had no other internet connectivity issues and can't connect this sudden change to anything in recent memory.

I've also noticed that when I start the computer (either restart or start from shut down) Microsoft Security Essentials will initially turn on as normal, then minutes later I'll get a warning from the Action Center stating that it is off, recommending that I turn it back on. So I do, and it runs fine without interruption after that. However, this has been occurring every time over the past few days, which again keeps me suspicious. I don't have any other anti-virus software, and Windows Defender is off. I did have the free version of Malwarebytes which I uninstalled just to see if it made a difference, and of course it didn't.

Finally: Over the past several months I have had recent computer crashes, seemingly random, with the blue screen. I don't recall any obvious trigger; they have occurred with routine use on the internet without any warning. I had gone a couple months without any crash at all, then had one I think this November. The computer has restarted from them all without obvious performance issues. 

Please let me know what information you might need, including specs and hardware information. I'm not sure where to start with all of this, or what should be most concerning, or if these events are all even related at all. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users