Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to Select Windows 7 Updates but Windows 10 tries to Download Instead

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:04 PM

Here's my scenario:

I am running Windows 7 Pro on my laptop and have reserved the Windows 10 upgrade.  I have the white window in my system tray ("Get Windows 10") visible.

My goal was to simply upgrade at a later date when I'm ready...but I can't seem to control the process.

I have set Windows Update to Notify when downloads are available.

When I open WU, I see a bunch of important Windows 7 updates (not selected) and a few optional updates.  Under Optional updates, Windows 10 Pro is selected....everything else is not selected.

Next, I highlight all Windows 7 updates and de-select Windows 10, as I'm not ready to upgrade yet.

However, when I finally click the Install button, it appears that my settings were completely ignored and Windows 10 tries to download anyway instead of my selected Windows 7 updates....it says something like "Downloading Windows 10...getting setup files".  WTF???

Why were my settings ignored?  Why won't it just install the W7 updates as I asked it to?

I simply cancelled the process....but I can't seem to install the W7 updates through WU.  Anyone else have this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:07 PM

I would first try uninstalling the update that is giving you the update notification on your taskbar. The easiset way to do that is to open a command prompt and type: wusa /uninstall /KB:3035583. This will uninstall the update that is trying to force the upgrade. After you uninstall it make sure to go back in Windows Update and hide that same update (KB3035583), otherwise it will just install again the next time you check for updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users