Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:43 PM

Hey Guys,

I bought a new hard drive and I installed a clean copy of Windows 10 on it. Now I have the old hard drive which has my old copy of Windows 10 on it but I want to completely re-format the old hard drive and erase everything on it. Right now the old hard drive is not connected to my motherboard because I am afraid of connecting it because then I will have two different copies of Windows 10 hooked up to the same motherboard. So what should I do? Can I hook up the old hard drive and format it through Windows or do I need third party software or what? I know how to hook up the old hard drive and boot up to the new one from the BIOS screen, but I am lost after that. I don't want to damage anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rocky Bennett

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

Your computer boots to the first installed OS it finds. Most likely your C drive. It won't look any further. You can hookup the other drive internally. Windows will detect it & after you can use windows to format it without any issues. You should not need to set anything in the BIOS. Optionally you could connect it externally, if you have the hardware to do so, & format from there. Internal hookup would probably be faster for format & the method I would use. You can keep the drive installed & use it for extra storage.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

Yes, I want to leave the old hard drive connected for data storage. So are you saying to boot with both drives hooked up or should I boot with just the new drive hooked up and then connect the old drive afterward? Also, you are saying that I should be able to format the old drive straight from disk management? Thanks.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:21 PM

Shut the computer down, disconnect from power, press the power button to bleed off stored current in the capacitors, hook up the 2nd drive, reconnect to AC power & start your computer up.

And as I said "Windows will detect the 2nd drive & after it does you can format it without any issues. You should be able to format from Disc Management. You should not need to set anything in the BIOS.

So are you saying to boot with both drives hooked up? Also, you are saying that I should be able to format the old drive straight from disk management? Thanks.

Yes to both.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,632 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:34 AM

Thanks, I will give this a whirl.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users