Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emsisoft Blog

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:39 PM

Hope it is Okay to post this here so that the XP users won't miss it.

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/12/02/why-we-believe-its-not-ethical-to-sell-antivirus-software-for-windows-xp-any-longer/?ref=ticker151202&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=blog&utm_campaign=ticker151202

Edited by hamluis, 03 December 2015 - 07:59 PM.
Moved from XP to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:02 PM

On November 12, 2015 Emsisoft posted the following on their Changeblog.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Emsisoft Internet Security 11.0 released!

Protection from new threats means focusing on the latest versions of Windows

Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Internet Security 11 don’t run on Windows XP and Vista anymore. Customers who still belong to a rapidly shrinking group of XP and Vista users will not receive the new version via online updates, but continue to get signature- and detection-updates for their version 10 until the officially announced support end in April 2016. Rest assured, it’s not our intention to push our customers to buy a new computer, but we have to face reality here: Both XP and Vista lack significant security features in their core structure, which is holding us back from protecting users to the highest possible level. Imagine the best and most advanced available home security system that just can’t do its job because all doors and windows of your home are kept open for thieves all the time – and there is no way to close them. As Microsoft no longer creates patches for newly discovered security leaks, we believe it’s unethical to sell antivirus software that pretends to protect while it can’t effectively do so any longer.

The same information is posted in this topic at the Emsisoft Support Forums News.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:30 AM

It has been coming since the release of V10... it's like trying to patch a house that has a crumbling foundation.

(on a side note, some of the comments are mind boggling!)

#4 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:36 AM

Anyway , except people that has only XP/vista capable machine , there is no reason why they don't upgrade to at least Win7 , People using XP for the fame or love are unconsciously participating to malware threats expensions. They can add all security softwares they want, a single kernel exploit and they are done...

Edited by Umbrapolaris, 04 December 2015 - 02:37 AM.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:36 AM

ESET and Bitdefender will continue support until 2017. Webroot will provide support until at least April 2019.

These Anti-Virus Software Products Will Continue to Protect XP after the End of Support

#6 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:55 PM

Only about five per cent of Emsisoft users are still running XP

-REF:http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/12/02/why-we-believe-its-not-ethical-to-sell-antivirus-software-for-windows-xp-any-longer/?ref=ticker151202&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=blog&utm_campaign=ticker151202
I suspect that would be the real reason they are dropping support. The ethical non-sense just sounds like marketing so that when the XP users get a new computer they won't be pissed at Emisoft from dropping support, and therefore will hopefully use the current version of Emisoft's product.

it’s no longer ethical to sell antivirus software that pretends to protect XP and Vista when both lack significant security features in their core structures.

-REF:http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/12/02/why-we-believe-its-not-ethical-to-sell-antivirus-software-for-windows-xp-any-longer/?ref=ticker151202&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_content=blog&utm_campaign=ticker151202
As long as you aren't falsely advertising what your antivirus protects against, there is nothing unethical about this. Some security is better than none. If you find it difficult to clarify what your product can/can't protect against to the average consumer, that's understandable, and a viable reason to drop support, but not the same thing as being unethical to protect them.

Windows 10 is an opportunity to skip inferior technologies and more directly to a more advanced system.

Inferior? Advanced? From a security stand-point sure, but in regards to other aspects this is highly debatable. Newer isn't synonymous to better. There is a reason why 11.68% of the market share is still in XP.

As well as a return to the familiar Start button

Note how they mention the start button rather than the start menu. I doubt many current XP users will look at the XP start menu, and prefer the Windows 10 start menu. Personally I've got it setup in Start Screen mode, which I love.

If you’re worried that some of your software programs won’t run on Windows 10, a virtual machine environment (or the XP compatibility mode that’s included in Windows 10) could be the solution. This means you can keep using your XP software and hardware while at the same time knowing you’re doing so on a modern, supported, secure operating system.

You're still in the same boat, except now you have 2 operating systems to protect, will suffer from poorer performance of the XP applications, and are now potentially exposing the Windows 10 install if the XP VM has one of it's security holes exploited.

most people are pleasantly surprised how much faster their computer runs with a new operating system.

Yes, but most of these people likely aren't XP users switching to Windows 10. And the ones whom do, likely are only getting a speed boost because their XP install was bogged down. Re-installing XP would have fixed that, and likely performed immensly better than Windows 10, given it's much ligher-weight.

To be clear:

- I am not against Emisoft's decision. Anyone who's still writing XP software will get a raised eyebrow from me, and I'm an XP user. That said I do appreciate the efforts of the software devs that are continuing to support XP, because one of my machines still runs Windows XP, and I expect it to continue to do so for several years.

- I am not against Windows 10. There are things about it I don't like, but the same can be said of Windows XP.

Edited by hollowface, 13 December 2015 - 09:55 PM.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the input guys, and girls.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:33 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users