Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

24/7 systems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TgxLEGENDz

TgxLEGENDz

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:21 PM

so i am trying to turn my old desktop into a server, but it is still a very nice system so i dont want to harm it by leaving it on 24/7. i know the issue is that the hard drive will be constantly spinning and wearing it down fairly quickly, but could i put an ssd in the system, and leave it on full time with no issues. like i said it is still a very nice system, and i dont want to hurt it.

UPDATE: i guess im not turning it into a server i am just using it as a file system that i can access wirelessly. it will be running windows 7, but it wont have a monitor or keyboard or anything plugged in

Edited by TgxLEGENDz, 03 December 2015 - 08:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:06 PM

That's what I did with an older i3 unit, mounted four 500GB drives and left all the files on shared within the LAN, wired to the router.

#3 TgxLEGENDz

TgxLEGENDz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:15 PM

That's what I did with an older i3 unit, mounted four 500GB drives and left all the files on shared within the LAN, wired to the router.

does that put any extra wear on the system though??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users