Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD (WD My Passport) wont open...looks wiped

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NurseJenCanada

NurseJenCanada

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:43 PM

Hi...I have read a few forums about this but my situation is a little different. I have been using 'My Passport' for 2 years-ish and have never had an issue, i store everything in there because i need all my manuals available everywhere I go...so a few weeks ago I plugged it in and it did not open as usual...It also did not show up in it 'normal' position in my pc (see attachment "This PC") it shows up as 'Local Disk (E:)' but used to be 'My Passport'

I am a little computer savy so i started to investigate fearing that it was wiped out because i did not 'safely remove hardware' (which by the way is not enabled) 

I searched and tried a few diagnosic things then finally got an error "E:\ is not accessible. Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" so i started trying to fix the CRC but the things various forums suggested didn't fix the issue like others, i was getting different outcomes...i even tried to delete my device and reinstall driver...did nothing...tried updating driver...did nothing...the further i looked i also found as if my passport was cleaned out? (see attachment "Disk Management") my E: has 100% available space :(

hopefully someone here has a solution :)

Thanks

J

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:12 PM

Why is your disc E formatted to RAW? I hope that somebody here can help you and I hope that you have not lost any data.

What OS are you running?

What kind of system?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

The problem with your disk is it is labeled RAW which can mean you have lost your partition table. What is the make and model of your computer? 

For the easy solution first: A bootable linux disk may see the drive where Windows fails. Download the iso of Parted Magic here. You can burn a disk by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. You are using Windows 8. You will need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI/BIOS and if that does not work you should enable Legacy Boot. I do not know your computer but for a Dell tap F12 at boot and for HP F9. This will bring up a boot menu with a choice of which device to boot.

Once on the Parted Magic Desktop follow this guide. If parted magic cannot mount the WD drive then there are a few other options that will hopefully recover the data. If it can mount the WD drive you can use the file manager to copy files from the WD drive to your internal drive.

The naming convention for a hdd is different in linux than Windows. You internal drive will be labeled sda with a number suffix for each partition on the disk. For Windows 8 your C: Partition may be labeled sda3 but I am not sure. You will have to mount the partition and see if it has your Windows files. If not you can unmount the partition and try another sdaX partition. Your WD drive will most likely be labeled sdb1 if you only have one internal drive.

Edit: What size is the WD external?

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 December 2015 - 04:17 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

Is WD Drive Unlock involved with this MyPassport drive?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 NurseJenCanada

NurseJenCanada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:39 PM

Computer is:

Dell Latitude 3550

Windows 8.1 Pro

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz

RAM: 4.00GB

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Why is your disc E formatted to RAW? I have no idea what RAW means sorry

i'll try "the easy solution first" right now :)

WD external is 1 TB

Edited by NurseJenCanada, 03 December 2015 - 06:40 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

My reason for asking this earlier:  I had one of those ext HDs, cloned on top of it, wiped out Drive Unlock, and could not folder/file access the HD via Windows again; luckily, nothing personal was on it.  Had to use external boot and format it.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 NurseJenCanada

NurseJenCanada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

My reason for asking this earlier:  I had one of those ext HDs, cloned on top of it, wiped out Drive Unlock, and could not folder/file access the HD via Windows again; luckily, nothing personal was on it.  Had to use external boot and format it.

I dont know what unlock involved means

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:48 PM

I am not sure but I believe Roland was referring to the fact some WD external drives encrypt their data.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:06 PM

I am not sure but I believe Roland was referring to the fact some WD external drives encrypt their data.

JohnC, you're probably right, I never had a chance to explore this; I only got as far as having to utilize drive unlock in order to use the ext HD within Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users