Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:24 PM

Just got a new Dell XPS 8700 desktop, just wondering, the machine seems pretty slow, will it speed up when the cookies for each program is installed? T.I.A.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

Cookies, also known as Tracking Cookies, are downloaded to your browser to facilitate connections between a website and your browser.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

This is a Zip file, you will need a program like Zip to extract the program.

When you have downloaded the Speccy Snapshot you will need to extract the program.  In order to do this click on Extract all as seen in the image below.

speccy_zpst7spbukh.png

After extracting the program you will be prompted to Select a Destination and Extract Files.  You can change the location suggested or choose another location.  After you have decided on the location click on Extract.

In the page that opens you will see two Applications.  The first is for a 32-bit operating system, the second is for a 64-bit operating system.  Click on the version which applies to your operating system.  This will open the Speccy Snapshot.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:23 PM

Cookies, also known as Tracking Cookies, are downloaded to your browser to facilitate connections between a website and your browser.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

This is a Zip file, you will need a program like Zip to extract the program.

When you have downloaded the Speccy Snapshot you will need to extract the program.  In order to do this click on Extract all as seen in the image below.

speccy_zpst7spbukh.png

After extracting the program you will be prompted to Select a Destination and Extract Files.  You can change the location suggested or choose another location.  After you have decided on the location click on Extract.

In the page that opens you will see two Applications.  The first is for a 32-bit operating system, the second is for a 64-bit operating system.  Click on the version which applies to your operating system.  This will open the Speccy Snapshot.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#4 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

Thanks,Have the Speccy saved to pictures, Do not know how to copy to the reply

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:40 PM

If you followed all of the instructions, especially the last two under Publish Snapshot.  If you followed these all you need to do is to open your topic, right click on the text area and click on Paste.  This will paste a hyperlink there which when it's clicked on will open the Snapshot in another webpage.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BjwyZIxclbGujTuOC7vqqX

This is what I got when I hit paste

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BjwyZIxclbGujTuOC7vqqXT

#7 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:50 PM

Hope this helps: 

Operating System

Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz:

30 °C

Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0KWVT8 (CPU 1):

28 °C

Graphics
G276HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 720 (NVIDIA):

35 °C

Storage
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA):

33 °C

1862GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0820 USB Device (USB (SATA)):

33 °C

1863GB Seagate Desktop USB Device (USB (SATA)):

33 °C

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW SH-216DB

HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 USB Device

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:58 AM

The Speccy snapshot link does work.

You have a Intel i7 CPU and 12GB of RAM.  This should be a fast computer, even with Dell's bloatware.

Are you getting updates?  There should be a fair amount of them.

You need to uninstall Advanced Systemcare.  Below is a complete explanation for why you should uninstall this program.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7, one of our Global Moderators.

#9 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:10 AM

The Speccy snapshot link does work.

You have a Intel i7 CPU and 12GB of RAM.  This should be a fast computer, even with Dell's bloatware.

Are you getting updates?  There should be a fair amount of them.

You need to uninstall Advanced Systemcare.  Below is a complete explanation for why you should uninstall this program.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7, one of our Global Moderators.
Great info, especially about Advanced Systems. I did have a ton of junk and am doing a an uninstall, any suggestion as to a good anti virus or just use Defender? 

Edited by durkinjt, 04 December 2015 - 11:11 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:29 AM

You do not need to quote my posts, it's a waste of bandwidth.

Defender will work.  I have a preference to Avast.  My wife and I both have the paid version and don't have any problems with it.  They do have a free version.

https://www.avast.com/index

#11 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:07 AM

A, Thanks for the great info especially about Advanced System Care, I don't know how I did that quote thing, a mistake, was trying to reply with what I am doing now and somehow I sent that quote and no reply. Will give Avast a go. 

#12 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:27 AM

A, Thanks for the great info especially about Advanced System Care, I don't know how I did that quote thing, a mistake, was trying to reply with what I am doing now and somehow I sent that quote and no reply. Will give Avast a go. 

Just installed the paid version of Avast, already showed bad add on's no other program I had did this, thanks again.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:05 AM

Happy safe computing. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users