Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Cards

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mommytwotwo

mommytwotwo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:22 PM

I need to upgrade/replace my video card so the kids can play newer games. I need an ATI Radeon model 9000 or greater. I am trying to order it online and it looks like I have 2 options: AGP and PCI. How do I know which I need? Also, any recommendations/tips would be appreciated, I have no clue...

Edited by mommytwotwo, 24 July 2006 - 12:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:45 PM

What is the make and model number of your computer?

How do you know you need a Radeon 9000 or better? If you got this off the "system requirements" list for one of the games, better check and make sure you have enough memory, processor speed etc.

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:56 PM

Well AGP to standerd normal PCI ( Peripheral Component Interconnect ) AGP will server you much better. Mak sure you get the right AGP, make sure you don't have a AGPx2/4 or else a AGPx8 won't work. And to find out what one you have and you nca look at this little guide to tell the diffirence. Also make sure your power supply is capable of handling the video card. Most online retailers give you the "minimum" wattage that the vidoe card requires, although it would be good to have more then the minimum and not strain your power suply and some ratings on power supplies can be less that what they actually rate it as well.

But something like a Radoen 9550 or a 9600, or if you don't won't much power at all a 9200-9250 would do, they shouldn't be to power hungry as the current top of the line ones are.

Just out of curiosity whic hgames are you paling on playing, just so I and other members can get a better feel of what video card you would require to play the games smoothly.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:24 AM

FYI - PCI and PCI-E are 2 different things. Video cards are moving to PCI-E very rapidly and it's difficult to find a good AGP or regular PCI card these days.

A PCI-E card will require a motherboard with PCI-E slots - which are different from the AGP and PCI slots in older motherboards.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:57 PM

You really need to know what your motherboard will support.

There are two kinds of agp cards and only relatively new motherboards support pcie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users