Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to trick the phone ping?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smellysox

smellysox

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

I have a situation. I need to be able to have my phone say I am in one place when I am in another place... but of course still be able to answer or make a call.

Note: This is not for anything illegal, just personal.

My thinking was this. If I purchase a cheap phone, I could have all my calls forwarded to that cell phone (when I need it to). When I need to call out, I could mask the number and have it appear that it was coming from my regular phone. Then, simply leave my phone in the location I want to appear to be at.

It's the phone pinging that I need to address, not the gps.

Is there an easier way?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:09 AM

What you're doing sounds pretty devious. Only the carrier can initiate a ping request and it has to be for a legit reason. Like police trying to track you and triangulate your cell phone signal location.

#3 smellysox

smellysox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:17 AM

Devious, no doubt. Illegal, not at all.

I guess maybe I'm using the term "ping" incorrectly. I'm talking about if someone calls or I call someone, there are records of what tower my phone was talking to. I'd like to hold a conversation and the bill show me as talking from point A when really I'm 50 miles away at Point B.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:25 AM

I don't think you can do that. Unless you have a droid phone setup to use a internet connection and calling through a sip proxy.

#5 smellysox

smellysox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:25 PM

OK, thanks though.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,049 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:00 AM

I have a friend that somehow has her landline and cell phone connected.  If I call her landline, both her cell phone and landline ring.  Generally when she calls me, it appears as though she's calling from her landline though usually she isn't.  Sometimes, though, her cell phone number shows instead, and then I don't know who's calling me since that number isn't in my contact list.  I don't know how she set that up though.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 smellysox

smellysox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

Thanks OB, but I think that won't hide my phone location if someone were to look at my bill. I suspect I'd have to physically leave it where I want it to be. Then, have the calls forwarded to my burner phone. Only thing is that not sure if someone looked at the bill, would it show the number that they dialed or the number that ended up receiving the call.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users