Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print Driver Problem - Canon & Xp Home Sp2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RWA

RWA

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:15 PM

Problem with Canon i865 printer driver, New PC with XP Home & SP2, 1024Mb memory, Intel 805 dual core 64 bit cpu 2.66Ghz

printer connected via USB printer will print any colour but black!

tested using word & notepad, paper motion and printhead motion normal but no ink applied to paper!

have tried original i865 install disk, v1.73 driver d/l from web, and i865 drivers in xp home only thing of note is that at end of installation driver setup has great difficulty locating USB port that printer is connected to.

Canon's first response... - it must be the USB port setting, delete them all and allow widows to reinstall them
I have a cordless mouse and keyboard connected via USB, and guess which port I deleted first!!??... so I packed that idea in!

retested, same problem whether using USB parallel cable or networked printer (through my old PC!)

Canons latest response...
The problem does not appear to be a software problem, but a problem with the printer itself. You report that it has worked OK on another PC, but we think that if you tested it again on another PC, using the same program, you would now see no black printed.

Please note that different programs will print black differently. When printing from the web, black will be created from the coloured inks, while word processors will use the black ink.

Perform 4 head cleanings, then 1 deep cleaning. These are accessible from the maintenance page of the printer driver.

If after multiple print head cleanings there is no improvement to the quality of the print outs, the print head may have expired.

You can purchase a replacement print head for your printer. It is considered a spare part.

You can order one from any of the following companies:

- ISI: 0121 780 6000
- CRC: 01483 776 060
- XMA: 0115 846 4333

Please note that printing issues could be a caused by an internal mechanical issue and by changing the print head alone may not resolve the issue. To arrange service for your printer, you can call Canon at 01582 633 908. Please be prepared to give your address, the date of purchase, and the serial number of the printer (located inside the printer, behind the print head).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
and mine! ....
Sounds like you are runnung out of ideas!

I have retested the printer on my old PC and it <still> works fine!.

FYI I am using Notepad on both machines and printing a .txt file - the old machine works fine - the new one doesn't!

BTW I am a Software Engineer (with 25 years experience) using PCs daily and writing windows application software, so I am not impressed with all the talk of 'expired printheads' and 'replacing as spares' - the printer is WORKING FINE! and in any case I would expect that a quality Canon product should not need replacement print heads after 2 years of home use!

I have rechecked it can print any colour but black with my new PC - its over to you!!

Does anybody on the forum have any idea what's going on ?

Only thing I can think now is a bad driver file that isn't being deleted when I remove the printer driver or not overwritten when I re-install

Or something duff in the registry perhaps?

TIA

RWA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:33 AM

Hi RWA,

retested, same problem whether using USB parallel cable or networked printer (through my old PC!)

Does this mean that you connected the printer to your new PC via its parallel port and had the same problem? If so that certainly ends any question that USB is involved.

I would try a complete reinstall of the printer, with the first step including a manual search for /deletion of all Canon files and folders and the same of Canon keys/subkeys in the registry. What a hassle, but I can't think of any other way to be sure that some leftover/corrupt file or setting will not compromise the new installation. You are right, many if not most uninstall programs leave scraps behind.

If that doesn't work then Canon has some explaining to do. Have you checked on Canon support forums to see whether anybody else has encountered this problem?

#3 RWA

RWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:18 PM

Yes, I connected the printer to the new PC - admittedly with a fairly old cable - and got no joy.

It seemed logical to test it that way to eliminate any USB 'effect'.

The print server setup was : printer connected to old PC, which was set up as print server & with USB link
then sent text file from the new pc via ADSL router - it looks like the print server simply passes on whatever it is sent straight to the printer.

manually deleting printer files sounds like the only way to go - problem's going to be finding them all - sod's law says it'll the be one I <don't> find that's screwing the whole system up!

as for 'tidying' the registry ?!# - i'm tempted to let one of these cleaner type programs loose and see what happens (after backing up of course!)

I'll let you know what happens.

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:49 AM

Hi RWA,

Yes I know what you mean -- you _should_ be able to just uninstall the printer from control panel, uninstall the software from Add/Remove programs, and be okay. Basically what I would do after that would be a search for files/folders related to the Canon, and then a regedit search for keys with Canon in the name.

I did a little searching and found a couple of threads on the internet which mention your problem, and several solutions. Most were related to replacing or cleaning the printhead, which is not your problem. However, a couple of people got their black ink back by changing the media setting from plain paper to photo paper.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/31712

From a post in that thread:

I have a i560 and had the same problem and did all the fixes
mentioned here to no avail. then i read another post from a novice that he simply change the paper type setting from "plain paper" to "photo paper" and he can now print black text fine.

i tried it and it works great! i use plain and say its photo paper and no problems with black ink anymore. this works when
the nozzle check shows black ink on paper and head alignment shows black ink on paper but you cant print text.

I know this isn't your printer model but it does indicate a Canon driver issue. Might be worth a try.

Edited by DaveM59, 26 July 2006 - 07:49 AM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:05 AM

I would uninstall the printer, reboot and then use CCleaner, which is fairly safe as registry cleaners go. (backup your registry first - Erunt is a great program for that. Both are freeware.)

Ccleaner
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Erunt
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

#6 RWA

RWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:38 AM

:thumbsup: Oh the Shame! - its definitely egg-on-face time.

my printing problem was down to a dried up black cartridge!

the quoted text in DaveM59's email gave me the clue - swapping the paper type from plain paper to photo glossy 'restored' the black printing on my new pc.

The canon i865 (along with I suspect a lot of other printers) has two black cartridges, one is pigment based ink, the other is dye based.

I'd always assumed that <text> was <always> printed using the pigment based ink - I now think this is incorrect - it seems that, if the paper type is set to plain paper, the pigment ink is used, if it is set to glossy photo ,it uses the dye based ink cartridge.

my old pc (which was printing fine) was set to glossy, my new pc (with its printing 'problem') was set to plain paper!

Partly, what fooled me too, was that because the pigment ink cartridge had failed completely I did not notice anything wrong on the nozzle check printout - a complete block of print was missing and I hadn't noticed! when I checked the output with that shown in the manual I realised what was missing.

I am going to have to aplogise to Canon support too! - what they were telling me was basically correct but not couched in very clear terms - if they'd said "switch to plain paper and do a test print" and then "switch to glossy paper and do a test print" I would have latched onto the problem a lot sooner! Their comments about USB ports <were> way off the mark though!

Ah Well!!

Thanks for your efforts chaps.

RWA

#7 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:21 AM

Hi RWA,

Very glad to hear you got it sorted. :thumbsup: And thanks for taking the time to let us know -- it will undoubtedly help us to help someone else down the road. This is the first time I've heard that some Canon printers have two black ink cartridges. What a great idea -- when it works! :flowers:

With your permission, I would like to post a link to this topic over at the fixyourownprinter.com forum. I have read through two long threads posted there on this very issue, but as far as I can tell nobody figured out why the various remedies all worked in different cases.

I also want to thank you personally. I have had many troubles with Hewlett Packard software and had resolved to buy a Canon for my wife's computer. Your problem shook my confidence, but now that you have solved it, it seems that Canon software (if not their tech support!) is exonerated. :trumpet:

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:23 AM

Another issue is that many ink cartridges expire by time even though there is plenty of ink left.

#9 RWA

RWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:32 PM

DaveM59

With your permission, I would like to post a link to this topic over at the fixyourownprinter.com forum.

No problem posting a link - if it helps somebody else solve their problems then good !

If I can get my act together I shall try to put together a little test sequence so that people can figure out more easily what the problem is - although 90 degree temperatures and no air con makes it a bit unpleasant to work at the keyboard for long!

its typical - and it often comes with 'experience' - you sometimes go straight past the simple and obvious solution and end up looking for a complicated fix for a problem - I was already sizing up manual driver file removal, and registry editing to solve a simple cartridge problem!

#10 RWA

RWA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:28 PM

I would uninstall the printer, reboot and then use CCleaner, which is fairly safe as registry cleaners go. (backup your registry first - Erunt is a great program for that. Both are freeware.)

Ccleaner
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Erunt
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

thanks for the info - I'd already sussed out CCleaner - I was still uncertain as to wether to use it until I'd backed up the registry - Erunt sorted that problem nicely !

Thanks

RWA

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

Glad to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users