I do appreciate the founders of and posters on this site. I find it hard to believe that when I question whether a software program should be used because it can and does cause users who don't know what they are doing, like people who would ask questions in an "am I infected? what do I do?" kind of thread -- it can be destructive. What followed my questions was some very civil responses to my very legitimate question and then some comments about "trolls" and "small minds."
As I pointed out, the complaints I have, and that others have on other sites (I posted one when asked to), is that there is no warning on the adwcleaner download page stating that downloaders should use this if they know what they are doing and not unless that is the case. Combofix goes to great pains to warn of this, and when software diagnosticians like myself (ready the attack comments) counsel people who are not well-versed in using Combofix to NOT use it unless they are doing so with the guidance on an expert or a superuser, we do so to avoid things like loss of web capabilities. If you've ever used to use LSPfix (some still use it), you may remember that you actually have to check a box before using it that says you know what you are doing and are taking the risk anyway.
Others on other sites also advise people to use adwcleaner, it is a widely used tool as part of a larger cleanup of malware. But there are no warning signs to tell a user that it may also cut your internet connection. That fact is the only reason I question its value, and it's a good enough reason for malware counselors on other sites to counsel great care or to avoid using it. Yes, this is a question that should be brought to its designer. But there are warnings about its use on other sites. Yes it's used frequently, yes, probably 90 percent of those who use it do not lose networking capabilities. But is the other 10 percent to be ignored? Can you just offer that tool here without an explicit warning at download time, that it could destroy your network connection as it removes remnants of malware? Should there not be something to spare the other 10 percent of this problem? You could at least tell the user to ask for help before hitting the "clean" button.
What would be bad or wrong about adding a few lines to your download page, or for xploded to add it to the code, to avoid destructiveness for the few (if 10 percent is a few) who get screwed by using this program? None of the other you have here will cause such problems. This application can and does.But don't let that bother you.
Edited by dseufert, 03 December 2015 - 02:27 AM.