Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blbgolden

blbgolden

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:01 AM

I have a custom build PC running windows 7 that has been going on 5 years without trouble and then suddenly, while playing a game, huge graphical glitch, screen freezes, then the computer crashes. OK, reboot, get sent to windows' "the computer wasn't closed properly" menu, select safe mode, it works but with screen tears all over, so I shut down the computer. I boot it once again, this time the regular way and it didn't make it to loading the desktop before it crashed again.

By that point I'm guessing my old GPU (a GTX 580) must be dying. I shut down the computer, turn off the power supply, open my case, take out my video card to clean it (you never know...), put it back in place and bam, lights out, not even a boot, fans don't even start spinning when I press the boot button. By that time I'm clueless, but I persevere, cleaning the whole computer, taking out my CPU, cleaning it, putting some new thermal compound, putting it back, making sure my RAM sticks didn't get dislodged, etc. After all is done, I give it one more try, flip the power supply back on (I forgot to mention it, but the PSU was on when I did my test and nothing started, don't worry) and... it's alive!... for five seconds. Fans run (but not the CPU fan, don't know why), mobo lights up, give me the two beeps that signals a normal boot (AWARD BIOS) displays 'db' (no idea what it means), then flashes a '0' before everything powers down.

I'm completely at a loss. Is the CPU at fault, the GPU, the mobo? I don't mind buying a new part (or multiple) as I'm due for an upgrade, but I'd like to know what to get...

I recorded the boot (if it can help): https://youtu.be/sOvDssTaAaQ

In case it's useful:

+ i7 2600k @3.4GHz CPU

+ GTX 580 GPU

+ GIGABYTE mobo (can't find model) with AWARD BIOS

+ 2x8GB Ballistic DDR3 1333 RAM sticks

+ Corsair HX850 PSU

If you need any information to further troubleshoot or have any ideas, anything's welcome! Thanks in advance!

Edit: I should mention that, in the current state, the boot button on my case isn't working at all. The only time I get a reaction is when I switch my PSU on from an off state.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:26 PM

This looks to me like a power supply failure.  Lights (LEDs) on the MOBO are indication of five volts, but most fans need 12 volts and none of them are running.  After the apparent failure of the video card, some other damage may have happened.  A complete inspection may find a fractured or cold solder joint.  I use a large magnifier with dual lamps to really get in the trenches.  PCIe connectors on the MOBO can get fractured and solder joints broken loose.  PS connectors also need a good looking at too.  The fail to start unless the plug is pulled, not just turned off by front panel switch.  Most front panel switches are now low voltage, always powered types.  Removing the AC power allows the PS to fully reset but then senses a fault and shuts itself off.  Most direct current faults will only spin the fans for a second and then stop. 

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:15 AM

It could be that the gpu overheated in the game. In that case I would replace the gpu.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:43 PM

Try the following.

Turn off the computer, not by the PSU, and unplug the computer from the receptacle.

Remove the 24 pin PSU connector from the motherboard.  Place the end of a paper clip in the green wire socket of the connector, and the other end in any black wire socket.  Leave this in a position in which it can't short on anything.  Plug the power cord back in.  If the PSU is working the LEDs and fans (except for the CPU heatsink and fan) will work.

The momentary power switch causes the motherboard to short out the green and black wires to initiate the PSU startup.  If jumping out the green and black wire works, either the power switch is bad, or the motherboard is bad.

If the PSU doesn't function properly after the two wires are shorted then it's time to take a voltmeter and see if the +3v, +5v, and +12v rail voltages are reading correctly.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users