Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some assistance/advice on planned first build

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Daveallen10

Daveallen10

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:13 PM

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could take a look at my planned first PC build that I'm hoping to put together. I have some questions / need some advice on a few things. I am looking to make a gaming PC that can play some newer games like GTA V, Fallout 4 on higher settings. For comparison, I am currently using this  pre-built PC and can barely play any modern games without turning off all shadows and anti-aliasing. 

Here is what I am currently planning to buy: 

Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card

Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition High Airflow 120mm Fan Twin Pack

Windows 7 Home SP1

In addition, I am hoping to be re-use the following parts from my current PC:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB Internal Hard Drive

HP cd player (couldn't determine the actual model)

maybe the back fan and some wires

Here is where I need some assistance: 

1. Help me choose a case! I'm looking for good ventilation, decent looks, sturdiness, lots of room, USB 3.0 on the front for my portable HDD which I always leave attached. Unless you have a really good fourth option, I've narrowed it down to three I like with good reviews:

Cooler Master HAF 912 (~$60)

HAF 912 USB 3.0 5.25" Bracket - OEM Package (~$18, mainly from shipping...)

or

Corsair Carbide Series 300R (~$70)

or 

Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 (~$50)

2. I think that I will be okay with just built in fans and the built-in CPU cooler, plus the extra fans I listed above (new and from old PC). Does anyone have any reason to think they would not be sufficient?

3. Is there a better CPU option than the i5-4690K  for use with my motherboard and GPU? 

4. General tips/advice for a first-time PC builder. I am hoping to avoid running into last-minute surprises (or frying my mobo/CPU). 

Thanks!

Edited by Daveallen10, 02 December 2015 - 10:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:06 AM

Have you considered something based on the Skylake (LGA 1151) platform?  It's newer and more expandable as time goes on, whereas the 1150 is being phased out.  The downside is that the Skylake is more expensive.

Cases are largely subjective within a few boundaries.  I prefer full-ATX cases due to their increased size, which makes it easier to work in and hold many large components with space for cooling.  Generally, aluminum cases are better built and cases with side windows, vents, or fans will be louder.  I am a fan of Lian-Li's cases, they are understated but well designed and well made.  The LIAN LI PC-A75 is a full ATX case and the LIAN LI PC-9NA is a mid-ATX.  For my cases, I prefer simplicity and elegance in appearance, LED's and windows aren't my thing.

With my builds, the case fans are sufficient for cooling.  The CPU fan and heatsink are usually aftermarket because they are often more efficient and quieter than OEM supplied parts.  For CPU fans, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a good option and is compatible with most CPU sockets.  I've noticed some people having issues with aftermarket fans and their RAM if they have tall heatsinks attached to the RAM.  There may not be enough clearance if you use that type of memory, but shorter RAM heatsinks usually have no issues.

3939.png

#3 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:37 AM

Also I would recommended that you get a 500W or more power supply, later you can upgrade to a better graphics card easily without needing to replace the PSU. New games use lot of GPU power so you might need to upgrade GPU if you want to play new games as soon as they come out.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users