Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does this site really promote adwcleaner??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 dseufert

dseufert

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:09 PM

Do you know how many people have been messed up, lost their internet connection and had to do system restores, by that program? Do you know that other sites say DON'T run adwcleaner because of this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:22 PM

I have run this utility multiple times and have had other people run it without a problem. If adware inserts itself into Winsock it will break after adwcleaner removes the infection. Winsock then needs to be reset with a netsh winsock reset command. Also resetting the TCP/IP stack usually resolves the problem.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 December 2015 - 10:23 PM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:33 PM

and which particular sites say not to run Adwcleaner...?

Just so you know....Adwcleaner has been downloaded 36,052,894 times from BC alone...

This included 239,638 downloads in the past week.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 dseufert

dseufert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:36 PM

There are not even any warnings saying that this software can break internet connections.

Do you want me to post all the posts from other sites and list the site names????

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,859 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:39 PM

feel free

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#6 dseufert

dseufert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:42 PM

I'll let you do as you wish here, but three friends have lost their internet connections after running that program in the past three days.

Don't believe me? Google this:

adwcleaner breaks internet

and then tell me if you should be telling people to use this software.

#7 dseufert

dseufert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:44 PM

Self-deception is a process of denying or rationalizing away the relevance, significance, or importance of opposing evidence and logical argument. Self-deception involves convincing oneself of a truth (or lack of truth) so that one does not reveal any self-knowledge of the deception

#8 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:50 PM

Trolls belong in caves...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#9 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:16 PM

I googled it.....I can't see a serious problem reflected in the results. Which other sites recommend not using Adwcleaner?

Edited by PhotoAce, 02 December 2015 - 11:17 PM.

#10 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:21 PM

As Condobloke said, there may be left over traces of malware even after removal by just running a tool. This can happen even with Antivirus and Anti malware software. You cannot be sure that all cases end happily in the incidents of infection. Thats why the staffs and experts on the online forums do not simply suggest a 100% working-in-all-scenario tool
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#11 dseufert

dseufert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:21 PM

You don't see that software that does not explicitly warn that it may cut your internet connection HAS cut many people's internet connections? That doesn't matter? Did you keep looking beyond the first page of results?

Wow.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

adwcleaner breaks internet

and then tell me if you should be telling people to use this software.

It removes malicious internet connection settings, true. All malware removal tools can and do leave computers in a non-connective state, sometimes.

Yes people should be using this software. 99.9999% of the time it will run without a hitch.

There are 10 hits on Google saying it broke the internet settings when removing malware, more than 30 million downloads from this site...

So say it broke 10% of the machines it ran on, (call it 3 million, but more likely upwards of 10) and only one in a thousand of those people complained online.

Where's the other 2990 search results?

How about if 3 in 1000 complained? Where's the other 8990 results?

This is ridiculously skewed maths in favour of minimizing this number, and the net would be awash with complaints if the program was problematic.

Self-deception is a process of denying or rationalizing away the relevance, significance, or importance of opposing evidence and logical argument. Self-deception involves convincing oneself of a truth (or lack of truth) so that one does not reveal any self-knowledge of the deception

Exactly.

3 of your friends having problems is anecdotal.

More than 30 million downloads and only 10 google results of networking problems is "evidence" or a "logical argument" that the program works well.

Edited by TsVk!, 02 December 2015 - 11:34 PM.

#13 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:27 PM

You don't see that software that does not explicitly warn that it may cut your internet connection HAS cut many people's internet connections? That doesn't matter? Did you keep looking beyond the first page of results?

Wow.

Which other sites recommend not using Adwcleaner?

#14 dseufert

dseufert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:36 PM

Here's the first one I found, which says it all, from CNET. If you guys would listen to criticism rather than sticking to your stance you'd get the point (maybe).

• It is important to note that everything that is found by AdwCleaner will be removed, with no options to "skip" any of the findings.

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,075 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:40 PM

This thread is done.

A moderator or above will reply to this shortly.

Regards.

NickAu

Edit.

Typo.

Edited by NickAu, 02 December 2015 - 11:47 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users