Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Refresh

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SomeDude1

SomeDude1

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

Hello and thanks in advance for your help! The other day I was having some difficulty opening one of my browsers so I decided to reboot my computer. This occurred after Windows tried to have me upgrade to Windows 10 and I clicked upgrade later. For some reason it still tried to download something but I closed it. I rebooted like I said but after the start screen, instead of going to the screen to enter my password I was just getting a blank screen. Perhaps it was running an update and I needed to wait longer but I thought it was frozen and forced a shutdown. The same thing happened when I started again so again I forced a shutdown and tried to reboot in safe mode. Turns out that's not s thing in Windows 8 and it took me to a screen asking if I want to refresh my system or reformat. I chose refresh because the description sounded benign enough but it actually reset every setting I had made and deleted all my programs, which included browsers with saved passwords and bookmarks. I tried to open system restore but apparently it wasn't automatically making restore points! I have a Lenovo and saw an option for "onekey restore" so I tried that but it was somewhat confusing and I wasn't able to find a restore point there either. I saw somewhere online that your old files are saved and indeed I was able to find a Windows.old file one my computer. Can someone please help me return my computer to how it was before the "refresh" that I did? I'm pretty sure when I did it the computer said it was creating a restore point so I'm not sure why I can do it. Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:03 PM

I should add that since the refresh it's like my computer has a virus. I keep getting pop ups to install a faster browser and Internet explorer keeps opening to random ads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users