Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Offers 4U Popups

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kevb8ll

kevb8ll

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:27 PM

I am getting these wretched popups when I use Ebay. I am not seeing them on any other website. I have attached a screen shot.

I am using Firefox on OS 10.11.1

I originally posted it in the forum that deals with infected machines, but all the tools are PC related so the guy who was helping said I should post here.

I don't do silly signature things - not since my Karma ran over my Dogma!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:05 AM

Use MalwareBytes for Mac

1. Please download MalwareBytes for Mac.
  2. Open the DMG Container and move the App to your program Folder
  3. Start the App and click on the Scan-Button. Malware will be moved automatically to your trash folder. If you get a message to restart, please restart your computer.
  4. Open Malwarebytes again (after restart) and make sure the app is activated (click everywhere on the Window).
  5. You see on the top of your Screen the Malwarebytes Menu. Go and open the Scanner menu and choose Take System Snapshot
  6. If the Scan done, a window will appear on you Desktop. Select all the lines with Command + A and Copy the content with Command + C.
  7. Paste the content with Command + V here. Make sure you don't make any other Copy operations before you paste the content here because the Clipboard with the Logfile-Content will be overwritten!

Edited by dante12, 03 December 2015 - 09:07 AM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:06 AM

What usually works for Macs is cleaning up the cache files and reinstalling the browser. You can save your bookmarks before reinstalling.

I saw your other post so I think you have tried using AdwareMedic which didn't help. EDIT: Adware Medic is now known as MBAM for Macs.

From the horse's mouth: 

AdwareMedic has joined the
Malwarebytes family and is
now known as Malwarebytes
Anti-Malware for Mac.

You can try cleaning the computer's caches using CCleaner, uninstalling recently installed extensions or completely reinstalling your browser. Be sure

to UNcheck any offers for toolbars such as Google during install.

.Mac OSPiriform - CCleaner Mac 

When uninstalling Firefox you will need to uninstall your Firefox profile, too. That removes your bookmarks and other custom settings as well as adware settings.

After reinstall of Firefox you should install the Adblock Plus add-on. Once installed, click on its icon and choose Filter Preferences. UNcheck

Allow some non-intrusive advertisements. Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox

Block the Third Party cookies aka Ad/ tracking cookies from installing in Firefox. Once blocked, you will need to delete the ones presently installed.

Disable third-party cookies in Firefox to stop some types of tracking by advertisers | Firefox Help

Edited by buddy215, 03 December 2015 - 09:21 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:11 AM

@kevb8ll

Don't use third party cleaner (Sorry buddy215 :)

AdwareMedic is deprecated follow the steps above that I have given to you. The Tipp from @buddy25 to Check Firefox Extensions is OK.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:20 AM

dante12....Adware Medic is now known as MBAM for Macs. CCleaner works very well in Macs according to those who have used it.

Of course, manually cleaning up the caches is always an option.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 kevb8ll

kevb8ll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:10 PM

Hi Guys

Sorry have been away.  found the offending add on. It must have been bundled into something.

I don't do silly signature things - not since my Karma ran over my Dogma!

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for posting your solution to the problem. It will help others.

#8 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:08 AM

Hi Guys

Sorry have been away.  found the offending add on. It must have been bundled into something.

Thank you for your answer if you have still problems don't hesitate to post here your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users